Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best preamp for a Modulus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    What do you guys think is the best preamp (onboard, outboard, rack) for a Modulus and why?

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    You gotta give us more info. What kind of sound are you looking for? What music you play. What flavor of Modulus do you have. Man ya gotta give us something:D

3. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    the question was supposed to be ambigious...which do you like in any Modulus and why...

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Again, I am not looking for a specific answer, if you like the way an Aguilar pre tames the high end sizzle that is common to graphite, then write what you will.

5. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Sometimes its just good to give back to the comunity.:D

6. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I also owned a Q4, (I bet your surprised Josh). For me they sound best with Duncan or Bart pups. I love Emg's but I really didnt think they where the best for a modulus. I also liked the Bart preamp with the duncans and the Aguilar preamp with the barts. Both where 18volt systems

My mod was bulletproof and could take beating.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I owned a Q5 with bart 2-band, traded it for another Q5 with EMG 3-band w/sweep mid. The bart system had a more natural tone, the EMG's have that EMG tone: a bit more modern and aggressive, which works for me because that's exactly why I got the Quantum. But I don't mean to overstate the importance of the preamps... both basses have very similar tone.

I love the Q5. Fit and finish are amazing, action is incredible, and I've not heard a better B-string. Despite the modern tone, I can make it sound appropriate for blues/R&B.

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am really interested in trying the new passive Villex system with my new Flea5 MM/J setup. I am buying a Demeter VTBP201S soon and I think the sound will be killer!