Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best preamp for punk?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Okay kids, I keep talking about stuff related to this and you're probably all sick of it, but I still don't know what to do. This is the rig idea:

Carvin DCM1000
    _________ preamp!?

I play punk, mostly. With a pick. And it's fast. I'm aiming for nice low end and highs, and relatively mid-scooped sound. Maybe pretty raunchy and dirty like Rise Against. What preamp would be best for this?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    raunchy and dirty kind of sounds like sans amp or ampeg
    be careful of getting too much of a mid scooped sound - while this may sound great by itself, it often gets lost in the context of a band, particularly a loud puck or rock band

3. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I think Sansamp is the answer. It seems to be the answer to pretty much every question, actually.

It doesn't have a tuner out though, and that upsets me. Can you plug a tuner in the effects loop or something?

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It has several outs on the back. One pair of outs are labelled "Sansamp" and "Uneffected." Plug the "Sansamp" into the poweramp and the "Uneffected" into the tuner.

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I think a look at the Ampeg preamps (svp pro, bsp and CL) and the SWR IOD is also worth it, since those are the preamps the Sansamp tries to emulate without a tube.

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Sansamp, hands down.

7. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Thanks! I was wondering what that was all about. *is ignorant*

I have looked into that, the SVP-PRO sounds like an option.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Interesting, in all the time I've been a member here.. I can't recall every seen much info on SWR's IOD at all? Have I just missed it?

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's a preamp that i think died before it's time
    i've never heard one, but all the reviews and personal testimonies have been positive
    i'm guessing that cheaper preamps like ampeg and sans amp may have put that one out of biz :(

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    IOD = Interstellar Overdrive. A few TBers have / had it. There was also some buzz about it sometime back

11. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I say Gallien Krueger.
    Get that classic punk sound heard in ruby soho by Rancid.

danman

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i think the higher price and special-order only aspect of the preamp really hurt its exposure, but if there's a used one lying around a shop near you i'd encourage you to give it a shot.

13. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The Ampeg is great for an honest growl (not so much for full on distortion), in addition to being an awesome overall sounding preamp. Its noisy, but we're talkin punk, its supposed to be noisy.

But I also think the GK suggestion is a good one. Lots of the best punk sounds are actually clean.

14. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I use my Mesa basis 2000 for punk. So does Fat Mike. There's something to be had for that clean picked sound.

15. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I've had my experiences with GK and SWR, neither one really fit the bill for me. The Mesa basis 2000 is new to me, I'll have to look into that. But between the Sansamp RBI and the Ampeg SVP-PRO, which do you guys think would fit my preferences better?

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hands up, too. ;)

but heck, i've seen a guy use an old Demeter 1.5 pre with his Pbass and Ampeg 8x10. all in the attitude. :spit:

17. I don't know about a preamp but I've seen several punk/ska bassists using Orange amps

18. I saw the Hellacopters on their last US tour and the bassplayer was using a 200 watt Orange bass head with an SVT 8x10 and it sounded awesome. That head is mucho dinero though!!

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Oh, c'mon for punk ANYTHING will work :D Isn't that the whole idea?

I would wager most people using Orange do so for the look. Good tube heads with a slightly different flavor than an SVT or Boogie but I wouldn't call them the holy grail. If they were more easily available here in the USA they'd be less of a big deal.

I agree with the SansAmp recommendation. Since the rest of the rig is budget why go for a really costly pre? I'd put any extra $$$ into better cabs first.