Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best preamp for under $200 (used)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ADbassman, Jun 12, 2004.

1. I've been scouting around ebay lately looking for a nice used preamp to go with my QSC power amp. I've notice older model BBEs like the 383 and 363, some peavey preamps, and the occasional ampeg svp, though these almost always go over $200. Have any of you tried any of these amps, especially the peavey ones? Any suggestions?

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I know you can get a BBE BMax preamp brand new for $230 so Im sure you can find one used for around $200. Its what I use with my PLX1602 and I think it sounds awesome.

3. I recently found out about the low price on the Bmax and I think this is the way to go. They are going for about $200 used on Ebay!

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I bought a used SansAmp RBI for $185 including tax at a local store. :)

5. pin-drop

pin-drop

May 29, 2004
    I just got an ada mb1, not very common but it was 200 and seems prity damn good, even though im playing it through wuss computer speakers... why did i sell my amp before the rest of my rig arrived.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    If your bass natural sound killer or has on board electronic's the PreSonus TubePre is killer for the money. Its $99 at Guitar Center. I have one which I bought to compare to my preamp thats in testing right now and the Presonus for the money is a killer little unit.
    http://www.presonus.com/tubepre.html

Ebay is a great place as well to find stuff.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    With luck and careful shopping you can find all sorts of gems for $200 or less.

I hesitated and lost an opportunity to buy a nearly perfect Alembic F1-X for $199 and helped a couple friends buy Trace Elliot tube preamps for $199 each.

Since I personally prefer solid state amps, I've had good fortune in finding both a Pearce BC-1 and an AMP SL-1 for $30 each. The Pearce was leaking magic smoke at the time, but required less than $10 in parts and has been fine for the past 3 or 4 years.

If you have something specific in mind, please let me know and I'll keep my eyes open...

8. If you're an old school fan, the Yamaha PB-1's are still available used all over for usually $100 or less.

I've got one and I love it for my bi-amp system.

9. Anybody heard anything about the old Peavey tube preamps by chance?

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Where can you get a Bmax for $230 new? I'm really looking into buying this pre...

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I currently own a Peavey MAX preamp that I think is very nice especially when new or used cost is factored in. I did not like the stock generic Chinese made tube and promptly swapped that out.

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I highly recommend the Peavey Max. It's an awesome, great sounding and versatile tube preamp. You can find em for $150-$250.

It has two discrete channels, one tube and one solid state. You can use them seperately, or combined. The SS section has a 7 band EQ, and the Tube section has a three band. It has a built in crossover, and a DI out. Once you replace the crappy tube that it comes with it with one of better quality, it has gobs of lovely tube tone.

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I knew you would reply sooner or later, but didn't think it would be as the same time I did.

14. Anybody know anything about a Peavey Alpha tube preamp or the Peavey Bassist preamp? The Peavy Max sounds excellent, I'll have to look into that, but I'm still looking around.

15. Sansamp RBI or BBE Bmax is the way to go. Both go for $200 or less on ebay.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    :) Just call me the Peavey Defender! ;)

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Best price I've seen is through www.riksmusic.com; email them.

18. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Yamaha PB1 get's my vote. Tons of flexibility.

19. +1

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's a good one but it soemtimes doesn't do too well with actives electronics IME. On passive instruments it great.