1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best preamp neeeed!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Shizo, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    Hello guys,
    I am new to TB and new to ERB's. I have recently received my Epiphone Expert 6 with EMG soapbars. It has regular, LesPaul'ish knobs function and I am considering swapping it for an active preamp. It has 4 knobs and I don't want any drilling. It already has 18v wiring, so good to me.
    Could you advise me some good preamps? I am NOT really into that hyped "transparency" or clarity. I love the sound of original Spector HAZ preamps and early Foderas with EMG+HAZ (which to me sounded a bit Spector'ish ;) )
    What I like is big power, tons of gain(don't confuse it with any overdrive or so - gain means to me harmonic content and I would love that preamp to both pump tons of gain like HAZ but with that clearly big harmonic content)
    I would also love to have big flexibility and usefulness of sounds in real world mix and playing with band - I am totally not into solo playing.
    It might not by any transparent and it may alter the tone of my bass totally - so I am easy with that.
    Hope to find good help here ;)

Ellery likes this.
  2. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    Anybody anything?..

3. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Just so happens I just got my hands on a Spector Forte with a Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp in it. This thing is tremendous! With the bass knob I can clip my amp like crazy, it's as powerful as a pedal. And it oozes with tone. This unit is 3-band and the bass was designed for a 2, so at the factory they used a stacked knob. I've had this bass for maybe 2 weeks now and I'm already considering putting a Tone Capsule in one of my old basses.

4. SleazyB

SleazyB

Sep 25, 2016
    Frankfurt a.M.
    +1 for the Darkglass

5. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    How could you compare its gain and power to for example HAZ or EMG BQC?

6. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Delano MS-E

7. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    Is it versatile and modern? Kinda edgy? Or not?

8. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Sounds like Aguilar to me.

9. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    Aguilar sounds good, but is its mid control useful? These frequencies?

10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Only you can answer that.

seang15 likes this.
  11. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    Does anybody know anyone making custom preamps for order?

12. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    I have seen him. Does anyone tried his creations or better: does anyone compared them to originals? By writing custom preamp I meant preamp made to meet my own expectations ,made for my wish and my own custom needs.

13. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    What about Noll? Does anyone know anything about Noll and how it compares with others?

14. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    Bump?

15. Noll is rather transparent, so is IMHO Delano

16. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    And which will be thick, fat, phat, massive and heavy sounding? EMG? Aggie? HAZ?

17. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Aguilar is probably among the most massive and aggressive out there. I just pulled an OBP-2 and replaced it with a Nordstrand because the Aguilar was much more dominant and huge sounding than I needed or wanted on that particular bass. Any more than a slight turn past center and it was essentially a totally different instrument.

18. Shizo

Shizo

Dec 22, 2016
    Europe
    That's good for me. Very good.
    How would you compare it to Nordstrand then?

19. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I've been a big fan of the Nordstrand, and have installed them in the last two basses I've made (a two band and a three band). The Nordstrand and the Audere are probably my favorite two preamps right now - very useful frequencies, customizable, sounds great.

I added a passive tone control to my Nordstrand preamps, similar to the Vintage Tone Control on the Sadowsky. It's WAY more useful than a single active treble boost/cut, and once I dial in my levels, this tends to be the only knob I touch during the course of a gig.

Bear in mind, these are not aggressive preamps by any means, but are flexible and will make a good sounding instrument really shine.

scuzzy likes this.