Best Preamp/Pickups for Stingray 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BigNoise, Jan 30, 2009.

1. BigNoise

BigNoise

Nov 19, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Anybody got any ideas on this?

I play alot of slap and finger/funk and I was just curious what sort pf upgrades are being done to improve the tweakability of the stingray 5s

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hardly seems necessary- I never see any posts from anyone changing the pre in their SR. There are some more controllable pre's out there, or ones with different voicing, it just depends on what tone or features you're after.

3. BigNoise

BigNoise

Nov 19, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    I was just curious, always thinking!!

4. scarekrow

scarekrow

Jan 27, 2007
  5. nofrets5

nofrets5 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Ferndale, MI, USA
    Well I am curious as to what else is out there that may improve the sound of my Stingray 5HH; my tech explained that with the 3 band pre amp, it can be connected to the pickups, so I would possibly need to sway the pre AND pickups out. He and I agreed (in our opinion) that the strat type pickup selector has some tones that are useless. The bass looks great, plays wonderfully, but he explained that with their 3 band eq, the frequencies overlap and it limits how much you can control your tones... if I understood correctly. Basically, it made me understand why I've read so many wishing MM would still use the older 2 band eq.

I wish I had more midrange control; more like my G&L, as the Stingray is very "wide" sounding, but hard to tame that MM sizzle and not enough "useable" midrange (again very subjective)

Thoughts ?

6. I think Bartolini also makes some MM pickups. They also have a nice 3 band EQ that has a push/pull high/low mid. Very clean looking and pretty darn useful.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021