1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best preamp & Pickups for Warwick

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by melodiaopus, Aug 15, 2012.

1. melodiaopus

melodiaopus Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have a Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 4 String that I want to upgrade. Suggestions would be nice.

2. What exactly are you trying to achieve sound wise??

3. root_anton

root_anton

Mar 18, 2012
    Minsk, Belarus
    I have Aguilar OBP-3 in my NT '92 and it sounds better than MEC and Bartolini IMHO
    thinking about changing pu's to delano jmvc but don't have money now :)

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    IMHO the MEC stuff tends to sound great, so the upgrade is unlikely to improve the bass.

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    That bass has such a distinctive sound that it's hard to make it sound very different to the stock pups-preamp combo.

6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Our standard preamp options are MEC, Seymour Duncan, and Bartolini. Pickup options inculde MEC, EMG, SD, and Bartolini. The Thumb bass has a very distinctive sound due in part to its wood, construction, and pickup placement. The different electronics will get you a different shade of the Thumb tone, but it will remain distinctively like a Thumb bass. Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can assist in any way. Thanks!

7. LukeFRC

LukeFRC

Mar 15, 2012
    Scotland
    what warwickofficial said. Upgrade to what and why? I stuck barts in a streamer stage one- but that was as the brightness of the MEC and the brightness of the bass wasn't great, tried another preamp and it was utterly utterly wrong for the sound the bass made natually, so back in goes the MEC.

If I had a thumb I would keep the MEC stuff ;)

8. Curious...what pups do you have in now then, if not the MECs?

I've currently got Bart pups and preamp in my Thumb, but I'm considering a change to Aguilar's preamp and...some sort of pup that will fit, which is my issue!

Edit: I should add that I've got a Thumb 5, and its the narrow spacing of the strings that seems to rule out most if not all pups that have exposed pole pieces, otherwise I'd be all over those fat poled Delanos like white on rice.

9. root_anton

root_anton

Mar 18, 2012
    Minsk, Belarus
    now I have stock active MEC's but thinking about replacing them with Delano's

10. I replaced few stock PUs+electronics in Wicks with Bartolini, Delano, Villex (passive) and Pope. As well as, DiMarzio Model J PUs. Agree that Wick sound is always there, no PUs or electronics change that, but nuances are definitelly different. It was worth upgrade in each particular case and both SD and MEC PUs are not I consider the best for Wick which I consider overall my prefered bass manufacturer.

11. Can you comment further on a Bartolini vs Delano comparison? I have Barts in my Thumb, and I'm wondering about Delanos. I'd sure appreciate any input you could offer! Thanks!

12. dluoma

dluoma

Feb 19, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have joe bardens in my wick thumb nt5 and love um. I also have a john east pre. don't love the bass boost but do like the mid control a lot. i know that pope and aguilar make good pre's too. what did you end up going with?