Best Preamp + Power Amp Setup < $800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RunngDog, Jul 15, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Just wondering what $800 will buy in terms of an amp / preamp setup. I've been offered an Eden WT-550 head for this price and am looking for a comparison.
  2. QSC SVP*/CL
    QSC RBI**

*Ampeg SVP Pro pre amp
    **Sansamp RBI pre amp
    /Ampeg SVP CL pre amp
  3. joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Brian's not making a lot of sense tonight.........either a used Ampeg SVT Pro or a Sansamp RBI preamp with a QSC PLX power amp.
  4. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Any comparison to the WT-550 (or WT-400) would be helpful.
  5. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    a BMAX preamp would fit nicely in that budget and give you a touch more headroom for a poweramp
  6. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I got a QSC PLX 1202 from musician's friend, "reconditioned," for $300. I got a sans amp RBI for as I recall around 200, maybe 220--so there you go--a solid loud rig that can cut all kinds of gigs. Add the cost of a rack bag or case.
  7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I got a PLX 2402 and a Bmax-T for $800...
  8. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    QuoteAny comparison to the WT-550 (or WT-400) would be helpful Quote

My current rig is an SVP-Pro into an RMX850. I just played an Eden WT-500 the other day. The Eden is definitely more hi-fi sounding. It is reasonably warm sounding, but not nearly as warm as the Ampeg setup. The Eden has massive lows and very well defined highs. I feel that the Ampeg has a warmer, "swampier" character that fits my taste and style a little better, the Eden being a little too "modern" sounding. Hope this helps.
  9. Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just bought a used Demeter VTB201 and a used Stewart World 1.2 for just over $825.00 including shipping. The price for the Stewart was OK but I've seen cheaper. The price on the Demeter was about $50.00 better than I've ever seen it before. Very open, clear, warm sound. Huge bottom. Not as "modern" as anything from Eden. Not very swampy either, but a Sansamp DI would help dirty it up.
  10. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    BBE BMax
    QSC PLX1602

Got the BMax new for $230 and the PLX used for $450 so that makes $680