1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Preamp + Power Amp Setup < $800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RunngDog, Jul 15, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Just wondering what $800 will buy in terms of an amp / preamp setup. I've been offered an Eden WT-550 head for this price and am looking for a comparison.

2. QSC SVP*/CL
    QSC RBI**

*Ampeg SVP Pro pre amp
    **Sansamp RBI pre amp
    /Ampeg SVP CL pre amp

3. joeybcdt

joeybcdt

May 6, 2004
    SE Texas
    Brian's not making a lot of sense tonight.........either a used Ampeg SVT Pro or a Sansamp RBI preamp with a QSC PLX power amp.

4. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Any comparison to the WT-550 (or WT-400) would be helpful.

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    a BMAX preamp would fit nicely in that budget and give you a touch more headroom for a poweramp

6. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I got a QSC PLX 1202 from musician's friend, "reconditioned," for $300. I got a sans amp RBI for as I recall around 200, maybe 220--so there you go--a solid loud rig that can cut all kinds of gigs. Add the cost of a rack bag or case.

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I got a PLX 2402 and a Bmax-T for $800...

8. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    QuoteAny comparison to the WT-550 (or WT-400) would be helpful Quote

My current rig is an SVP-Pro into an RMX850. I just played an Eden WT-500 the other day. The Eden is definitely more hi-fi sounding. It is reasonably warm sounding, but not nearly as warm as the Ampeg setup. The Eden has massive lows and very well defined highs. I feel that the Ampeg has a warmer, "swampier" character that fits my taste and style a little better, the Eden being a little too "modern" sounding. Hope this helps.

9. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just bought a used Demeter VTB201 and a used Stewart World 1.2 for just over $825.00 including shipping. The price for the Stewart was OK but I've seen cheaper. The price on the Demeter was about $50.00 better than I've ever seen it before. Very open, clear, warm sound. Huge bottom. Not as "modern" as anything from Eden. Not very swampy either, but a Sansamp DI would help dirty it up.

10. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    BBE BMax
    QSC PLX1602

Got the BMax new for $230 and the PLX used for $450 so that makes $680