best preamp to go with EMG's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Nov 9, 2003.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i recently tried to add EMG P-J's to my spector. well long story short they wouldnt work with my pre-existing preamp. Im looking for a new one now. I wired up teh pickups with the tone pots but i hate not having that 2 band eq anymore. What systems work with those pickups and which ones would sound good. I play punk/funk/jazz/hard rock.
  2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What model and year of Spector are we talking? I had no problem using new EMG DC40s with the pre-existing Tone Circuit. Either the EMG BQS or EMG BTS should work with well in a Spector. The Aguilar onboard preamps have also been used.
  3. I have 2 Spectors - a Korean REX2000.5 with Hz pups and a BTS pre-amp, and an NS5CR with DC40 pups and a BTS pre-amp. They both work really well IMHO!

There are other options - Aguilar, as RevGroove suggests, there is also the new pre-amp that Spector use, but I don't know if you can buy it from them!
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    the bass is an ns-2a which was modded by a few guys on here. Most people told me the pre-existing preamp would work but it wouldnt. Im thinkin the emg preamp would be the way to go, wheres the best place to get one online?

5. Not too sure of places your side of the pond that do good deals. Maybe check out the distributers/dealers listed on the EMG website - at least it would be a good place to start!

Maybe Ebay as well?
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The people at are good to work with, they have just about everything emg in stock - including the preamps.
  7. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA

I've played EMGS for years, and here are
    my final results:

Sadowsky preamp: The best, really opens
    up the sound and eliminates the 'brittle'
    quality so many object to.

Aguilar OBP-1: Very nice, huge (repeat HUGE)
    bass at +18db at 40Hz, nice top end. With an
    18v circuit it made my Guild Starfire EMG HB
    setup very hot (a little too hot, prefered the

EMG BTC (in my Godin BG-IV). Does the job,
    the ability to cut (and not just boost) is
    a plus if you are into cutting treble.
    Otherwise, not a huge tone monster, but adequate

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ