Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best preamp tube for FX-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vlad335, Nov 17, 2003.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I just got an Alembic FX-1 which I love. ( Sounds like butta!) I was wondering if anyone has experience with swapping tubes in this pre? Which brands/types sound the best?

I did searches but couldn't come up with anything conclusive. Any tips/experiences with this pre would be very helpful.

2. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, tubes are pretty subjective. If you're willing to shell out megabucks for an NOS tube, I'd try an RCA, Mullard, or Brimar. For current production tubes, I like the sound of a JJ (some of the older ones are a bit noisy, but the newer ones are much better). Stay away from anything made in China!

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    If I remember correctly I put a NOS Sylvania in mine and it worked real nicely.

It's kinda fun to try several of the NO$ but I agree, the new JJ's aren't all that bad. I've got one in my Fafner.

5. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
  6. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I haven't tried the Tesla's. I would recommend that you start a bit cheaper and go up from that. Just my two cents, for what that's worth.

7. Here's a recent thread on 12AX7 tubes that you may find useful. But it really comes down to personal preference. Buy from a dealer that tests their tubes before selling and try a few of the new production tubes. A lot folks like the either the JJ or EH (electro-harmonix). If they don't work out, then try get some recommendations for NOS (new old stock) tubes from a reputable dealer.

Besides the tubestore you mentioned, I've had good luck with with these folks:
    http://www.nebsnow.com/LordValve
    http://www.kcanostubes.com/
    http://www.eurotubes.com/

8. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
  9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I think that it's a good starting point. You sure can't beat the price. I'm actually impressed with the quality of these tubes. And I have a buttload of NOS tubes.:eek:

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd say that the JJ should serve you pretty well. Doug was great to deal with, and after trying out a bunch of other tubes (see the linked thread, above), I probably would have been quite happy with either the JAN Phillips 12AX7, the Telefunken ECC83 (smooth plate) or the JJ ECC83S.

Caution: do not expect a radical change - unless something was wrong with your first tube. The differences are fairly subtle, at least among fully-functional, non-microphonic tubes.

Have fun!

Tom.