Best Primus....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rmp5s, Sep 13, 2000.

1. rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    What are the best Primus songs and albums? I really like Tommy the Cat. Any reccomendations?
  2. I think that the brown album rules.. it's a bit out there for most people though.
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like them all! but i LOVE De Anza Jig or whatever it´s called on Tales from the punchbowl..
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <b><i><big>Too Many Puppies...</b></i></big>this goes out to Frank Neugebauer - the best Les Claypool impersonator in the world...and to his Pudding Time Bastards - the best Primus cover band ever - you made my senior year so much fun!!!
  5. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    If you are looking for a new CD to get, try Frizzle Fry. In my opinion it is by far the best Primus album.
  6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  7. DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    Frizzle Fry or Antipop...Brown album is kool too.
    So is Tales from the Punchbowl.
    Damn...they are all awesome
  8. Sailing the Seas of Cheese and Pork Soda are Primus Classics.
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Everything by Primus is great I even like Les's take off band Sausage that was some great stuff.
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    definetely the best album is Frizzle Fry!!
    look at the songlist, and the basslines and drums are the best ever!

Pork soda is the second one, because of the tapping.

well all albumbs has their something everyone like.
    Suck on this: for live sound lovers
    Sailing the seas of cheese: For tommy the cat lovers
    Frizzle fry: best all around, some great metal riffs.
    Pork Soda: dark yet primus sound with lots of tapping and lyrics made by a mind on acid.
    Miscelaneous debris: primus sound to classics
    tales from the punchbowl: i would say the weakest one, but wynona saves this one.
    Brown album: although drumkit recording was awful, brain managed to make cool "drumlines" (does that exist?)
    Rhynoplasty: where the primus sound is again applied to newwer sounds. BTW: I love claypool singing on Family and the fishing net.
    Antipop: a cool and more radio friendly sound (ironic) with tons of colaborators.

i feel like i missed one, but i think that´s all

el bastardo numero uno
    si hablas español y tocas el bajo, mandame un mail para ponernos en contacto, ojala existiera un foro asi en español.

11. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    Little known fact about Primus is that Todd Huth and Jay Lane (the guys from Sausage) were the original guys in Primus. However, Todd had a bouncing baby and Jay didn't want to tour at the time so Les got Larry LaLonde and Tim Alexander to fill their shoes. But being the good guy that he is Les went back to his good friends and created Sausage. Todd and Jay also helped him out with the Frog Brigade.
  12. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I can't believe no one has mentioned "Those damn blue collared tweakers"!!!! I have had that song stuck in my head for about a year now (no joke)! I like the antipop album too, it's pretty cool. Another of my favorites is Amos moses on Rhinoplasty. BTW, that claymation video of Devil went down to Georgia is cool so if you get Rhinoplasty, check it out.
  13. i like them all but i kind of get a kick out of misc. debri
    kind of lets them show who they found as influences
    i.e. the meters, the residents, pink floyd, and who ever did that making plans for nigel tune
  14. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    Making Plans for Nigel = XTC
    Amos Moses = Jerry Reed

As far as "best" Primus album can't go wrong with any of them. Pork Soda was my first purchase, but I eventually got 'em all. I really like their latest drummer, Brain.

And if you see any Sausage, Les Claypool and the Holy Mackeral, or Flying Frog Brigade...grab 'em, too! Ratdog is another associated group (can't remember the details).

Enjoy! :D

(BTW, anyone hear Les with Phish covering Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice"? Hilarious!)

15. If you're a bass player and you like Primus, you gotta have Videoplasty! I love that video. It has a little of everything. Mostly stuff from Frizzle Fry, Seas of Cheese, and the Brown Album (the concert footage is almost all from the Brown Album tour). It has some great soloing and some cool extended jams on a couple songs. Buckethead makes a few appearances on it. Definitely worth getting.
  16. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Les is going to be in my area as the Frog Brigade in Febuary with Galactic opening for him, I can't Wait!!!
  17. Anything by Primus is great. 'Nuff said.
  18. I just got Pork Soda!! Great stuff, I especially like "My name is Mud" and "DMV". Primus is great!!!
  19. A quick question, what genre is Primus in? Funk-Experimental-Punk?
  20. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

To me, the two quintessential Primus songs are Tommy the Cat and Jerry the Race Car Driver. Others are mighty fine, but those two capture the essence of the Les Claypool experience.

Jason Oldsted