Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Production Bass Part II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Mar 18, 2005.

Best Production bass

Poll closed Mar 25, 2005.
  1. Fender Jazz (specify wich one)

68 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Fender Pbass(specifiy wich one)

29 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. MM Sterling

18 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. MM Stingray

51 vote(s)
    26.0%
  5. Rickenbacker

30 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    OK so I've decided to Narrow down the Options now and kind of get these polls going as a tournament. So Now just vote for the one that you think Covers Rock,BLues and Jazz the best, keep in mind we are only discussing 4 stringers (just to keep things easier)

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    P-Bass. End of story. Been around since '51, been in it's current state since '57. Hasn't changed much in 48 years, so I think that deserves something to be said.

Mine's 27 years old, solid as a rock, sounds as good as the day it was made (I'm sure) ten years before I was born.

3. Haha - three poll replies, three different answers.

Can't really go wrong with any of the above, although I personally think a Jazz would cover most of what you want.

Then again, the Stringray....or the Precision, umm, I used to be indecisive. but now I'm not sure....

:D

4. In my opinion, it's tough to beat a Jazz bass for great tone and versatility, although the Precision has a terrific tone. In my opinion, the best production bass at the moment is the Fender American Deluxe Jazz, and the FMT ones look even better. All I know is, I own an amazing one, and I've played brand new ones that were incredible straight from the factory. MM Stingrays and Laklands (another good choice) come close, but neither has the tone I love. It's all about the American Deluxe.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    There all great instruments, but for the alround thing it's hard to beat a good ole jazz

6. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    In your opinion whats a better Jazz Bass, Geddy Lee or American Deluxe?

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Peavey Cirrus
    Am Dlux Jazz

Both are solid instruments with great active electronics and I normally dislike active pickups/eq.

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    You may have noticed theres a part I to thsi thread, but since the peavey cirrus didnt get many votes compared to fender and such, it got elimanted. Thanks for bringing it up though :D

9. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Fender Jazz American.....IMHO

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    +1

11. barbara

barbara

Mar 12, 2005
    RICKS RULE....END OF STORY

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    There all great basses.
    You can't go wrong with any one.
    For me a good old p-bass.

13. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I just gotta go with the classic 1957 split single coils wired as a humbucker 3rd version of the mighty p-bass. I think Fender finally got so much right with the third revision in terms of design simplicity and a great overall tone and playability.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    MIA DLX jazz covers more territory, I do own both basses and for what I play the DLX jazz is better. But I still love my GL for what it's worth!

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Nice bass but VERY LIMITED!

16. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    As much as I love my Jazz I have to agree with tplyons. The Precision just defines it.