Best Production Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Mar 18, 2005.

What is the ultimate production bass?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2005.
  1. MM Bongo (plz speficy what PUP configuration)

15 vote(s)
  2. Other MM

31 vote(s)
  3. Warwick Thumb

14 vote(s)
  4. Other Warwick (plz specify)

7 vote(s)
  5. Fender (plz specify)

38 vote(s)
  6. Dingwall Afterburner ( I or II plz specify)

7 vote(s)
  7. Other Dingwall (plz specify)

2 vote(s)
  8. Peavey Cirrus

17 vote(s)
  9. Other Peavey (plz specify)

1 vote(s)
  10. Spector (plz specify)

10 vote(s)
  11. Other (plz specify)

28 vote(s)
  1. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    OK Guys heres the deal. I've seen lots of people say stuff like " swear the cirrus is my fav production bass" or "the gl jazz bass is the ultimate bass" . I wanted to see your guys' thoughts on what was the actual ultimate productoin bass. Lets say the best bass that can cover Rock,Jazz and Blues. To keep this simpler lets keep all basses discussed 4 stringers.

2. Bongo or Stingray IMHO. Bongo is more versitile, so would probably be the best answer of the 2 for what you are asking

Edit: I see you added a poll, Bongo with HH pup config.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Cirrus, MM Stingray/Sterlings, and Lakland 55-02's
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MM bongo or MM sterling
  5. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    lol somehow someone voted for a fender yet didnt manage tor ead the "plz specify" part. I repeated it quite a few times for people to grasp the point but alas, we are only musicians right? :D
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    This poll is more notable for what it omits then what it includes, NO LAKLAND, skylines are certantly production basses!, WHAT WARWICKS?. I would not consider a thumb neck thru or a dolphin a production bass, I wouldnt include Metros or USA Laklands in that catagory. Which Fenders USA Jazz? P? Deluxe? NO MM Stingray (other dosen't count). NO Rickenbacher. Are you judging by brand name (Fender) or model MM Bongo? I voted Fender but like most Americans I had no Idea what I was voting for. Oh and how the @*&$ did Dingwall Afterburner get in this thing I've never even seen one!!!
  7. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Ibanez BTB 1000e . No longer made, but maaaaannn, what a bass. I still get shivers when I pick my 1006e up...
  8. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    OK man look, I'm not saying laklands are bad, quite the contrary! I love em. But I just kinda put the basses that have been discussed quite a bit lately. Look man just calm down.

EDIT: Oh and btw I'm going by model and then by whoever makes it (example: MM BONGO, MM OTHER) just because bongos have been discussed a lot here recently. With brand like Spector and Fender, I didnt put a model there because theres quite a few "top models" by them (in a lot of peoples opinions, but I'm sure some will argue but w/e).
  9. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I am specifying - Dingwall AB-I (simply because I have no other experience with a II or a Z or a Prima personally hehe)
  10. a very custom infinity or corvette
  11. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Hey Juneau I just checked out those pics of your Dingwall!

If I had the cash Id by the thing just for the looks. The fact that those sound great is just icing on the cake eh? lol
  12. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    You can hear it too in the other link hehe /shameless plug off lol

Not that I do it as much justice as some of the hands that its passed through at GTG's hehe.
  13. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
  14. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I voted Rickenbacker 4003.

They are still production basses but there is something very special about them. They don't look like anything else, they don't sound like any other bass, and they are fairly exclusive.

IMHO they are the coolest production bass out there.
  15. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    yes rics do have theyre special sound that nothing else can seem to achieve.

Just a thought, anybody know what those seymour duncan ric replacement pups sound like?
  16. I vote
    best overall for the masses -MM stingray
    However from your list I feel the Best bass is the
    Dingwall Afterburner

But i have to ask what your criteria is for production basses. How did the Dingwall Afterburner get in the list, aren't there like less than 50 AB/yr.
  17. Let's see, the list has Fender, MM, Dingwall, Peavey....

No G&L?

IMO the most versatile with the most bang for your buck...
  18. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    yeah spector, euros are nice