Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Prog Band Ever???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Funkize you, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I think I have found what I would concider the BEST Progressive Metal Band I could, I am a fan of DT, LTE, Tony MacAlpine, Virgil Donati, Via, Satriani, all the famous ones... But about a Year and a half ago I discovered the ULTIMATE band, Insane Chops, but not flashy-Great Singer, unlike MOST prog bands... DT especially... My Band's Name?

Pain of Salvation.

I have all of their cd's but, I have been listening to "The Perfect Element Pt.1" Exclusively for about 4 Months Straight! NO DAMN JOKE AT ALL, Roughly 14-15 WEEKS of ONE CD, it IS the best album I have ever heard in my entire life, and I dont think I will ever hear a band Write soo perfectly...

SO If you are into Prog, Metal, or just anything that's Good... Just go buy some Pain of Salvation, "The Perfect Element Pt.1" is MY favorite CD, but all of them are good.

(I didnt Forget Rush)

BTW, The bassist uses a Fretless 6 string, with an 11(?) Piece Neck... It sounds SOO good, I love that bass!

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    King Crimson is not only the best progressive rock band, but are probably the only prog band to truly progress.

No further posts are necessary.

3. Thanks for the recomendation Funkize. I might have to look into these guys.

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    King Crimson is Awesome, but I just cant get over these guys, There Writing is Flawless...

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    RUSH!

I just got Rush In Rio... I wansn't exactly a fan of theirs before, but now I love them! Great performance, great DVD, so many great songs I never heard. Plus, they've been around for 30 years...

And they're Canadian! :smug:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I heart Rush.

7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Rush, Yes and King Crimson should be the only bands in the ballpark here...

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Rush!

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Crim, no contest.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Brother?

11. The best prog band, in my opinion, is Rush. However, the best band to use progressive elements is King Crimson. Let me explain: Rush is the better overall group in my opinion, but King Crimson does the prog thing better.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Daddy?

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Nah, To me PoS is Far beyond any of those bands, No matter who you put up...

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. no band has ever "progressed" and changed as much as rush since their first album, crimson included. i mean, don't get me wrong, i like king crimson a great deal, but the best? nah. for pure entertainment factor, even yes had them beat, as well as for versatility and the ability to appeal to the masses.

mmm, i love these subjective conversations :)

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    POS is playing at progpower this year. come check it out. :)

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Subjective indeed. :D

Have you listened to KC lately, John? They are doing a brand of japanese inspired techno metal, which is a pretty far cry from their first album.

And isn't Neal Peart still doing the same drumbeat he perfected 30 years ago? ;)

17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Cactus and Gentle Giant should at least rate somewhere on the list.

18. I agree...

19. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I don't like to engage in the "Best _____" type of discussion too much, but some of the stuff I've been listening to include Finch (from Denmark? somewhat pedestrian but great bass tone and great guitar lines), Nektar (British expats in Germany in the early 70s) and Tangerine Dream...

20. I love Yes, but also King Crimson, Genesis, and Gentle Giant. The classics.

I don't know if Jethro Tull counts as prog, but I like them, too.

I'm not crazy about modern prog, though, a bit too polished and "wanky". *cough*DreamTheater*cough*