Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BEST PROG BAND IVE EVER SEEN LIVE!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by charles21o7, Oct 12, 2004.

1. I saw Kansas last night and let me tell you, I went into that concert thinking that most of Kansas's music was real cheesy 70s 80s prog. I came out thinking that they were prog Gods. Ive seen alot of prog bands live, King Crimson , Dream Theater, Yes, Moody Blues, Rush, but none of them compared to that show last night. The bassist of course didnt measure up to some of the bassists in the mentioned bands, but he held his ground firm and put out a powerful bass. The guitarist played amazingly, the drummer was reminiscent of Bonham, the two frontmen, keyboardist and violinist, sang greatly and really had the crowd goin. I wasnt a huge fan going in , but going out , well lets just say i bought a box set and three live cds earlier today. If they come your way, GO SEE THEM.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Im really getting into APC at the moment... This is Prog.... no?

3. yeah , in a weird kinda doomed out way.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah, i avoid the videos, Maynard's dystopia freaks me out.

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

6. Rock that explores new territory using various styles- yeah id call that prog, not to mention they have a violin player.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, that's crazy. I as well think Carry on My Wayward son... which is cool, but cheesy and not that proggy. But the bands you compared them to... damn. I'll keep that in mind.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    This show was in MS?

I liked their greatest cd that I got from my dad, but I doubt I would have made a trip to see them.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I saw them for free on base at San Diego Naval Station back in '87 with Steve Morse on guitar. They put on a good show. It was my first day in California. I show up to move into the barracks, see someone I knew from my previous base and she said "Hey there's a free concert on base tonight. Want to go?"

It was good.

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Several years ago ('91 I think, I seem to remember the first Gulf War going on at the time) Kansas played for free outdoors at this one club in town. The band was great... but everything else wasn't! It was raining at first and we all got soaked, and the crowd that turned up to watch this free show... oh man. I think just about every scary looking biker within a 100 mile radius rode in for the show. One nice almost-toothless lady was flashing a big knife in her purse and cursing everyone. And a huge fellow who reminded me of a drunk Fred Flintstone kept bellowing "Rain rain go away! Kansas can't come out and play!" and "Hell no we won't go! We just wanna rock and ro'!"

The band was great though!

11. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Don't judge these guys by the stuff you have heard on the radio. Make no mistake about it, these guys are proggresive. Listen to tunes like "Magnum Opus" and " The Spider". Also listen to the albums "Song For Americaa" and "Masque". They have been one of my favorites for a long time.

12. Yes sir, a free concert at the state fair just this past monday, i'm up here for the week, doing work, and i went and saw them . well, not exactly free, it cost to get into the fair grounds, but all else was free.

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Well, shoot. I miss a good band in my hometown, doesn't that beat all :D . I probably had to work whenever they played.

Not sure if I ever asked you, how did the hurrican turn out for you? Everything intact?

14. Not to mention Mysteries and Mayhem, and The Pinnacle. If he never wrote Carry On Wayward Son, Kerry Livgren would still be regarded as an amazingly talented composer just for those two songs. Can anybody speak to his more recent work with Proto-Kaw?

15. if you like prog, check out Zero Hour.

ZERO HOUR

The twins (Jasun and Troy) work at a comic book shop not too far from my house.

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I saw them last weekend, and have been a fan for years. Yes, they are definitely prog; they helped invent it. The violinist and drummer were great. The singer is getting a bit old and can't quite hit all the notes, but his keyboard playing is great. They should tune down or something. Guitarist was good but I'd prefer Steve Morse. Bassist was decent. I went w/ a friend who isn't a fan, and he said it took him awhile to get into it.

17. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

I agree with you about Kerry Livgren, he wrote some amazing songs and is a great keyboardist/guitartist as well. The last stuff I heard from Kerry Livgren was his group AD and I liked them alot, that was over ten years ago.

18. Not too bad actually, i had to replace the winshield on the car i left behind, and my 60$ cheapo mandolin that i used to just play around with, got smashed, no biggie though . stuff was blown around but nothing else got damaged.

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

At least it was minor damage.