Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best prog bass in my range. PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crazy_Fingers27, Feb 3, 2004.

1. hi all, i am looking for a new bass. four, five or six strings, preferably 5 or 6.

now, my price rang is about $1500 CAN or $1100 US (this does not include tax). i just need a bunch of suggestions. like i said in the title, i play all progressive. with my new bass, i really wanna be able to get the john myung sound (without buying the john myung bass). the bass just pretty much has to give a really good prog sound, and have a fast neck.

thanks to everyone in advance.

2. What would you describe as a "good prog sound"? I've heard a lot of prog bands, whose bassists use pretty diverse bass tones. I may be completely wrong, but I don't know if there is a standard prog bass tone. Are you refering specifically to the kind of tone John Myung gets, or did you have someone else's tone in mind?

3. sorry if i was unclear, but i would really like to get the sound that john myung gets on the DT albulm "when a dream and day unite". i know john myung used a music man to record that album, but i really dont like music man basses. i just want a bunch of suggestions on basses that would let me get that tone, in a five or six string.

4. Many prog bassists in the 70s used Rickenbackers. They can be obtained for about 1000$-1200$ Canadian, used. You can find some nice old ones for that price.

5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    You could always splurge on a 7-string. The Conklin GT-7 goes for about 1000 US (not sure about Canadian). Great bass, just one more string than you specified.

6. yah, i was thinking of saving for the GTBD7, but the thing is, those things are hard to come by in Canada, and furthermore, the strings would be impossible to find.

also, about the rickenbacker. i have played a bunch, and even new ones are in my price range. they played nice, and gave great tone, but i dont like the face that they only have 20 frets. this really puts barriers as for my solos.

7. I like Dream theater a lot and one of my idols is john myung and I can get a sound very likely the one in his progressive video with his tung bass. I got a conklin GT7 and I'm putting a new preamp but its sounds amazin the best bass I've ever tried for this style! I recommend it deeply!! a tobias pre gibson is nice too.

8. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003

how good does the gt-7 sound with the preamp replaced?

*just bought one, but hasn't play it yet...it's on it's way*

9. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    You should seriously look into the Peavey Cirrus. There's a couple on ebay now, including a sharp looking 6 string. You can look up the specs on them at peavey.com. Do a quick search on TB and you'll quickly see what people around here think of them. They're frequently described as some of the best instruments out there regardless of price. I love mine and I've previously owned a lot of different top end instruments (Warwick, Roscoe). Just my thoughts! Good luck.

10. to be honest i dont know yet because its gonna be in the shop for a week or so because I'm also going to order some THC knobs for it some ebony knobs with purple heart top. im using 3 knobs and 1 stacked knob for the concentric pot and a switch. I'll post pics and sounds of the bass whenever i get it back ok?

11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    If you're looking to sound like John Myung, all you've got to do is unplug your amp!

"A good prog bass" is so broad and vague that it's not funny. There are all sorts of sounds that bassists in this genre use, from Squire's Rics in the 70s, to Geddy's Wals in the early 90s, to Tony Levin's electric upright with Crimson in the mid 90s.

I really hope you're not just trying to be a Myung clone. There are plenty of those in the world.

As for the 20 frets restricting solos- I play a 7, so it doesn't apply so much to me, but ask yourself these questions before discounting Rics.

1- How often do you solo?
    2- When soloing, how often are you up in that range?
    3- When up in that range, do you feel it absolutely necissary to play up to the 24th fret?

I think you should check out Rics before you totally discount them. They are amazing basses and one of the coolest tones of all time.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'll second the Cirrus vote. Great bass for prog, among a lot of other styles.

13. herenseti

herenseti

Apr 15, 2011
    Dorset, UK
    I would go Fender. It's simple, it's well known, and most bassists use them.
    A 5 string P bass will set you back up to about £1300 ($1500US) but in all honesty an american standard four string P bass is half the price and just the same quality, and you could buy an american standard Jazz as well and have a broader range of tones in your repetoire.

Alternatively, i hear Stagg have an excellent, very light six string bass. But i wouldn't usually go for extra strings unless i was really leaning towards the metal side of prog, which i see you are.
    John Myung also uses a Musicman Bongo, look into that

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

You're not gonna beat a Spector in that price range. You can get a used Euro at the top of your price range, or a Legend for well under. I'd go with the Euro.

15. Craigster

Craigster

May 17, 2008
    So Cal
    I have a 6 string Legend that has an agular pre and EMG TW's with switches for both to go from active to passive...fantastic bass, great feel and beautiful tone. I highly recomend this combo for a prog metal sound (I also have a GT-7 which sound great as well but I've only had it a couple of months and I'm not quite used to the width of the fretboard)

16. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Surprised it's gone this long without anyone mentioning Carvin. You can get a 5 or 6 w/24 frets in several pickup combos, and their necks are super fast.

Might be a bit more than $1100 new, but you can finance or look for used.

17. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    Prog bass sound?
    Chris Squire uses mostly a Rick but also a Jazz, p-bass, Ranney, MPC Electra and the amazing Mauridian
    Wetton used a p-bass in his KC days, then some Fernandez and now a Gibson Victory
    Rutherford used a Rick, later a Shergold, today Yamaha TRB
    Geddy used a P-bass, a Rick, a Steinberger, a Wal and now a Jazz,
    Etc

18. swooch

swooch

Jun 30, 2005
    Sweden
    Triconded. Or whatever you call it.

Very easy to play, good mid-range and clarity. Perhaps go for the fretless 6:er straight away?

edit: I'm not satisfied with my BXP (cheap version) though. Go for the real thing.

19. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Ric copy. El Degas. Made in Canada. Same bass, save you some $$$.

20. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If you don't like Music Man but like their tone, find an Ibanez Musician. It's the only other option.