Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best PUNK Bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PunkSpeed, Dec 27, 2000.

1. PunkSpeed

PunkSpeed

Dec 27, 2000
    With Punk rock there are many good bass player's, but in the end you know the Matt Freeman from Rancid takes the gold. What is your favorite punk bass player?

2. i agree with your pick. i also like paul simonon from the clash.

this should probably be in 'bassists' though.

3. ibapunk

ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    You should here some of the unreleased stuff from OP IV. Suck as my life( king of ska) or Left behind..great songs

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Another vote for Matt Freeman here..

5. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    The Clash is pop rock. I don't care what ya say. Rock the Casbah, Rock the Casbah!

6. Mike Watt (The Minutemen), Karl Alvarez (The Descendents) or Darryl Jennifer (Bad Brains).

7. sure, JWC. the clash were only one of the founding bands of the punk movement. buy the first two records and you'll see what i'm talking about.

8. Greg Kriesel from The Offspring gets my vote.

another few honorable mentions are Nikola from Millencolin (i cant remember his last name), and the guy from Sublime (forgot his name too)(im not too good with names)

9. penstock

penstock

Aug 10, 2000

Matt Freeman is awesome, but Fat Mike, Roger from Less than Jake, and Royce from the Suicide Machines are also very good.

10. you've really got to give Fat Mike some credit, he also is the lead singer, i dont knwo about these other bands, but Fat Mike plays and sings. give the dude some credits!

11. enderbass14

enderbass14

Sep 28, 2000
    I used to say "Matt Freeman is GOD", and I would still say that. So another vote for Rancid's Matt Freeman here! :)

12. Another vote for Matt Freeman... op ivy ruless!

13. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    I have to go with Daryl Jennifer.

14. robotman

robotman

Jun 24, 2000
    i say matt freeman takes the cake. never heard operation ivy, but if it's anything like rancid, it rocks.

15. I guess I'm missing the point but isn't saying anything in punk is "BEST" the antithesis of what punk is all about? It's been a long time since that punk band in hi school and it certainly wasn't about "best" it was rougher and nastier noisy and angry trying to figure what was grosser green boogers or brown ones.

16. penstock

penstock

Aug 10, 2000
    Maybe back in the old days of punk they didn't have much talent, and there are those bands that don't today. However, many punk bands you will find today have some of the most skilled musicians around. Punk has changed a lot since the booger picking days, and in my opinion for the better.

17. Eggerog

Eggerog

Dec 24, 2000
    Hunter from AFI! Or....Matt Freeman. The Offspring bassist is so horrible. He really sucks.

18. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    There's a such thing as a good punk bass player? Damm, where have i been?

19. What Greg from the Offspring is a good bassist, he may not be the most complex, but he comes up with some creative lines, and can play nice and fast. However my vote goes with Fat Mike, another very creative bassist, who can make the stupidest song sound good.

20. Eggerog

Eggerog

Dec 24, 2000
    Wow, you're so original! I wish I could have though of such wit. I'm sure you think you're a real genius now, but please don't lose all attention span just yet.

http://punkmusic.com/afi/music/tabs/sacrificeb.txt

You can look at that. The intro is about 13 second, all 16th notes. I'm sure such a bass master as yourself can pull that off with no sweat, huh?

http://punkmusic.com/afi/music/tabs/cloveb.txt

There's another...so...no good punk bassist? Yeah, ok.

[Edited by Eggerog on 12-30-2000 at 06:32 PM]