Best PUP's for effects

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Feb 18, 2005.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio
    Looking at ordering an SX bass for my b-day, and wondering what replacement pups to order for it, if necessary (which I'm assuming it will be). I'm leaning toward Lindy Fralins, as that's what Laklands have, but my SR5 has a great sound with the Bart I put in. I plan on using the SX on songs that use lot's of effects, as passive basses seem to push envelope filters and the like nicer than active basses IMO. Looking for advice on what to go with... Nordy's are in the running too, as well as Basslines, but the Fralin's are definitely a the head of the pack... any suggestions?
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You need to give some indication of what you want out of a pickup for people to even point you in the right direction. You stated in the title that you want the best pups for effects, and that could mean a wide variety of things depending, for example, on what effects you intend to use.

I understand that it's hard to be specific when you don't really know what to be specific about in the first place. Your best bet is to play as many basses, pup configurations, and pickups brands as you can, because you'll ultimately be much more satisfied with what sounds good to your ears than going by the recommendations of others.

For starters though, what do you intend to use this bass for? What style of music, and what effects, since you mentioned that.
  3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio
    Well, primarily hard rock... I want something that will sound really funky thru my Q-Tron... my SR5 does well, but I can't play too hard or it sounds... i dunno... weird? I want more of a big auto wah sound, but without using a wah pedal.... make sense? Basically, I've got envelope filter, distortion and chorus for now, and I want something that will work ncely with all.

Sound wise, I want something nice and warm, with not much high end... but I can use the tone knob to fix that. Something 70's-ish perhaps. I dig the sound of flatwound thud- kinda like Queen's bassist on "Another One Bites the Dust". Does this help in suggesting anything, or is there something I'm missing?
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you are going passive, I would avoid Barts. I find they are best with an onboard preamp. Fralins have a nice vintage sound to them. Duncan gives you a bunch of different choices.
  5. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Fenders should also work nicely.
  6. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston