Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best purchase ever

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuggierox, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Nuggierox

Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    I just bought a Mesa MPulse 600 and it is by far the best head unit I have ever owned. It has a solid low end with all kinds of tone shaping controls. I didn't even have to make any adjustments ... I set everything to zero (midpoint) and cranked it up .... it has more headroom and a much tighter sound than any Ampeg, Eden, or SWR I have ever played ... and since it's Mesa it should be a solid workhorse for me for a long time to come. Best Purchase Ever .... well worth the 850 I paid for it!!!

2. Sounds great! Add this to the long list of amps I need to try now.

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have a Walkabout Scout 1-12 combo and the 1-12 extension and it sounds awesome. I love Boogie! :hyper:

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, alrighty then. But just for reference, what other amps have you owned?

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice, Marshall. I like the 600 and they are known to be reliable. Hope it continues to be just as satisfying for you once the first flush of new ownership fades a bit! ;)

6. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    I love it, he mentions Eden, and the Bunga chimes in Ace Ventura style...

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    One thing to be aware of. If you set the 3-band EQ on the left side of the amp, with all the knobs centered (i.e. 12 o'clock) that's not flat. The bass and treble are active, so the boost and cut, which means that they are flat in the 12 o'clock position. The mid band however, is passive meaning that its cut on. So the flat position for this control is when its on full (as I recall, somewhere around 5 o'clock).

It is a great head though, I ended up getting rid of mine because the tone just wasn't me. I could see how it would work for a lot of people though.

8. What speakers are you using with it? How about the bass? What's your full set up is really what I'm asking. And what was your last amp and why the change?

9. Nuggierox

Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    As far as other amps I have owned:

Pretty much everything on the market, but here is a list:
    Carvin RL 600
    SWR SM 500
    Hartke 3500
    Eden Navigator w/ 1200 watt Crown Power Amp
    Eden Highwayman
    Eden WT 800
    Ampeg B2R
    Ampeg B5R
    Ampeg SVT 4 Pro, (still have it, currently wanting to trade or sell it)

That's the list of heads I have used, here is my current setup:

Ibanez soundgear Prestiege 5 string
    Warwick Thumb BO 4 string (wenge version)
    Audio Techinca wireless for large venues
    Boss ODB-3 bass distortion, and a Boss TU-2 tuner pedal
    The Mesa M-pulse 600 all held within a 10 space shock rack.
    The cabs are2 Apostle(www.apostleenclosures.com)
    4x10 cabs loaded with Eminence Beta 10 speakers, capable
    of handling 1000 watts per cab. All connected using
    either 12 ga. speaker cables or monster cables for
    the effects loop and I use DR Lo-riders for my 5 string
    and Ernie Ball Super Slinky's for the warwick.

Hit me up if you have any other questions!

10. Can you tell us more about those cabs? I've never heard of them.

11. Nuggierox

Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    Well, they are a new company, but the cabs are top notch. They are very solidly built and have a ton of power handling capability. They make bass as well as guitar cabs and despite their solid construction, are fairly light in comparison to other cabs. As far as sound goes ... I don't know who to capare them to, but I can tell you that they have a very solid low end and are very clear cabinets. The builder ports them like a genz benz cab with the circular scoops at the bottom, but I don't have his regular line of cabinet, I had mine special made with dual porting like an Eden .... only with smaller ports. If I get the chance this weekend I will take some pictures of my rig and post them.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I can't say anything about his cabs as I have never heard or seen one in person. However, from a business perspective I don't like one of his practices. If you click on the site link and then head over to the "Ministry" tab he pushes his belief in Christianity as a way to sell cabs. Not that there's anything wrong with Christianity (or any other belief for that matter), but business is business, leave all the other stuff out of it (just my opinion).

13. Nuggierox

Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    You have it completely backwards my friend, he uses his business to let others know what he believes, not the other way around. I personally commend him on being upfront with people about where their money is truely going, and making some of the sweetest cabs I have ever played.

14. SWR Megoliath. I've had it for nearly a year now and it is still as exciting to have as it was when it was new.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, there you have it. No further questions at this time.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Apostle, the cabinets preferred by Jesus.

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    :meh:

nice.

18. Nuggierox

Nuggierox

Jun 29, 2003
    I can only assume that you have a problem with my list?

19. As long as he still relies on glue and screws to hold the cabinet together instead of divine intervention (sounds like the guy that makes Wish bases "Sanding is for heathens, trust in Jesus to make the rough wood smooth"), nothing wrong with it. Matter of fact, if the Jehovah's Witnesses brought over a nice bass cab with them on Saturday mornings, I might just let them in while I try it out....

You can always trust in Jesus..... to let your dumb ass fail if you don't do your homework first...

Randy

20. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    no prob with the contents of the list (very popular choices of rigs), but do you mean that you have owned or tried everything on the market?... Or is that a listing of currently what is on the market?