Best quality budget fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Feb 25, 2004.

1. I have an urge to go fretless. What's the best value fretless one can find? I've heard about and tried a Yamaha BB-something model, it sounds pretty good. Are there any others?
    Is Ernie Ball coming out with an S.U.B. fretless anytime soon? That would rock.
  2. Have a look at Essex, SX or Brice (there like all the same kinda) They have lots of cheap basses that are highly talked about around here...also check out the essex megathread....over 1000 comments on essex basses
  3. I just received a Brice V2 five string fretless yesterday. I haven't had it long enough yet to give a thorough review, but it is indeed a nice bass. It seems well enough made, has a nice finish, decent playability and tone. Well, decent playability and tone after I changed the strings. It's amazing that I was able to find something decent for the price of $159.00US ( I'm not saying this ranks with the handmade basses that we all desire, but it is OK and seems to be a good value for beginners and part timers. The last I checked, rondomusic wasn't listing the V2 five string fretless anymore on their site. Maybe I got the last one (???).
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Kei it could be that you got the last V2, but the HXB is still available I think.

I have Brice 6 string fretless that I like, I just got it a couple weeks ago and have only just started to explore it. My other fretless is a Dean Edge 5 string that I really love, which I got for about $400 new 4 years ago. Email me for a picture, it won't let me attach my pic because it's too big.

I may decide to sell the Dean since I think the Brice will replace it (though the Dean is a better bass than the Brice).

I'd recommend either as a great starter fretless, and there are Essex models also if you're on a budget. Both are giggable respectable instruments.
  5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I bought a new Lakland Skyline 44-01 recently. With the hardshell case and tax, it was $780. This was my first fretless, but I wanted something I could gig with. This bass is very well made, has a variety of usable tones, and has incredible "mwah." I'm diggin' the fretless so much, that I plan to upgrade to a Pedulla Buzz within a few months. I'll be selling this one when I do. :bassist: