Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best rack to ensure ventilation?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tmu, Jun 6, 2004.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I was just wondering what the best rack would be for side ventilation of my Mesa M-Pulse. The old rack (SKB standard ATA) was too tight around the sides, and I think that it may have contributed to the toroid blowing out.

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You could get a shock-mount rack case. The rack is suspended by heavy springs so that it basically "floats" inside the outer case. They have about 1.5-2" of airspace all the way around the mounted equipment.

But.....they're pretty expensive, and they dont generally make them smaller than 10 RU tall (15").

If I were you, I'd just take a basic SKB and drill a bunch of holes in the side to line up with the ventilation of the amp. And then be careful moving it in the rain.

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Buy a fan from an electronics catalog, and hook it up on the back of the rack. I stole mine from an old woodburning fireplace, complete circuit with variable speed control and plug. I just plug it into the rack power conditioner and voila. Instant cooling.

4. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, tough choices... What about an Anvil, do they have more space around the sides?

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Ah ha! I have a similar cooling issue with my new case. It's an Odysey 4 space...has my new QSC and my Hartke 4000 in it. the 4000 has just a fw vents on the top near the front of the unit...fan draws air from those and blows out the rear. Just dosn't seem to have a lot of room to get air from. Drilling holes may work...but I was thinking of trading up for a 6 space. I just got the thing a few days so I have that option yet.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Mesa shock-mount cases come in smaller sizes, and provide plenty of ventilation. They're not all that expensive, compared to alot of companies' shock-mount racks, either.

7. I drilled 2 holes in the upper rail in the back of my standard SKB rack, mounted a 3-3.5" fan, stuck a plug on the end and wired it up to the power supply. One thing about drilling holes in the side to vent is that you're dependent on the fan on your amp to be able to push the air through the amp and through the hole in the rack case. Even in the best case scenario you're going to have a majority of the hot air stay in the rack to be heated by the amp AGAIN. It'll cost you like $20, and maybe an hour or so of your time. So well worth it, and your rack is still waterproof.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    My QSC is sucking air from the back...my Hartke is blowing air out the back....wouldn't the QSC suck the hot air from the Hartke and then the Hartke suck it from the front...(oh boy...no pun intended)...I do have a fan that I could hook up to a power supply....???????????

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would suggest going with the Boogie soft racks if you are wanting a good rack without breaking the bank and want vetilation. I don't think it's really necessary for your MPulse to go so far as to get a shock mount rack, unless you are touring alot. They are great, but not terribly necessary unless you have alot of tubes or move them around alot (I have around 50 tubes in mine).

10. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Why the heck did Mesa design a rackmount amp that cannot be rackmounted without needing an extra fan????????

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't think any of their amps have that problem. :confused:

12. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Well, I know that they have air exit on the side, which is a design flaw, because almost all racks are tight on the sides.

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I would hardly call having a fan coming out of the side a design flaw. Even the tightest rack will have some space on the sides, which Mesa must have felt was plenty for the amps needs. Besides, you know those holes that are on the front of the amp? Those are vents.

14. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Ok, such is what I thought. So I placed mine in a standard SKB case. And, as you know, the toroid began to fry.

15. I went through this is another post, it really is a design flaw, regardless of how many companies do it- unless you can get fresh air into the heat sinks of the amp it will overheat eventually. To passively dump hot air into the same area that is drawing "cool" air in is pretty silly. Sort of like dumping sewerage into the drinking water supply- not that any metropolitan area would ever do that...

16. Bridge Cables

Bridge Cables Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Southern N C
    After my former gu*#@&ist dumped a can of Mt Dew down one of the vent holes in my MP 600 :spit: thought it might be time for some protection.

I wasn't on the road and with only two pre tubes to worry about I nixed the shock mount.

Got a SKB with one of those pull handles + wheels.

Yup, the 600 has vents up front, back and the left side, looking at it from the front.

I measured it and there is about 2 1/2 inches between the side vent and case and almost six inches from the back of the 600 to the case back. Sorry, I don't have a case model number, although as an id it does have that molded X in the design of the case plus the pull handle and wheels. Recently purchased it so I imagine the model can't be that old.

When I was in the band we would practice about four hours straight at about 100 + db, usually at 8 ohms, sometimes 4. Break for lunch and then do another four to five hours. No problems with head or case. Not sure why your power section went out, :( but I haven't noticed any heat built up with this case. If you add the fan array mentioned earlier it ought to keep things fairly cool.

BC :cool:

17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't think the transformer started to fry because of a lack of ventilation; that kind of sounds silly. There must have been a problem with the transformer itself.

If memory serves me correctly, Golden Boy, the vents on the front are the ones that suck in the cool air, and the hot air is blown out through the back and sides. I would agree that it would be a design flaw if it sucked in hot air from inside the rack and blew it out the front, but that is not the case.

18. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    perhaps they changed the design of the SKB case, because I definitely don't remember having 2.5" space. Maybe a half an inch, at the most. I will get a shockmount I think in the future.

19. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    By the way, in the 360 at least, there is only 1 fan. And it blows out to the side :meh: