Best rackmountable preamp for direct out post-EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Thats a lot to say
    Best rackmountable preamp for post-EQ direct out!
    There are a lot of bad post EQ signals for direct out and this is BY FAR the most important piece of my rig when playing a decent venue.
    The Navigator rules but I'm now going to use that solely to power my rig. The EQ to my rig isn't good for the house P.A. My post EQ on my GK 1001RB is awful.
    I was considering the Alembic FX-1, Demeter HBP-1 or the Sansamp RBI...
  2. I think the RBI has one of the most useful post EQ DI sounds available. But...the blend knob needs to be used conservatively. I generally ran my blend at about 30% wet and the sound was full, rich, and large. The EQ was still fully functional and I always seemed to have a great DI signal to the house.

*disclaimer: I have no experience with the Alembic or Demeter unit.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    out of those i've used (aguilar 659, alembic, demeter 201, eden, swr) I'd say the alembic has the "best" post eq di sound. this is mostly due to the fender tone stack on the alembic which adds a lot of "mojo" to the alembic tone.

as far as pre eq, the demeter is the clear winner. the jensen transformer di is a thing of beauty.
  4. 2nd on the Sansamp. Add the Ampeg SVP-CL to the other fine pres mentioned above.
  5. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    One thing to remember about the Alembic- in post-EQ mode, the DI signal is blazingly hot. You'll have to work with the engineers to find a comfortable gain level, then adjust your stage volume using your power amp.

6. I'm going to have to suggest the very same pre I use: the absolutely phenomenal, totally killer Ampeg SVP-PRO. When I looked into it, I'd heard about its supposedly noisy XLR out a little too often for my own comfort. At the time, I figured its other advantages outweighed the possibility of a noisy balanced out. I've had it for about 2 years and the thing is DEAD quiet unless you really crank the gain -- which is to be expected.

Anyway, the EQ flexibility is unmatched by most other pres I've looked at. A TRS footswitch lets you bypass it from the floor if need be, so you can use it for trimming mids during slapping or for a boost during solos. The stock tubes don't suck. It's virtually indestructable. A clean, warm sound's there and you can dial-in just a bit of grit or overdrive madness if you so choose. There's a post-eq/pre-eq switch on the back so you can opt to bypass the EQ for your DI if it sounds like ass through the PA.

I've heard some 5-stringers complaining that the SVP-Pro tends to lack definition in the low-B department, but I have yet to encounter any tubbiness that wasn't related to a flabby B or unreasonable EQing. Fingerstyle, slapping, tapping, picking -- it all sounds great. It barks just as well as a solid state IMHO.

My two cents, anyway.
  7. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    All depends on what you're looking for. There's no "best". Are you looking for a very hot signal with lots of EQ options? Or a really clean, usable signal with less EQ? What kind of EQ are you talking about, something simple to cut boomy freq's etc., or a fully sculpted, takes 4 hours to setup EQ'd tone?

(if I were you, i'd just use the DI out of the Navigator pre-eq and let the soundman do it, but that's me)
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Just you, and pretty much every sound deWd I know. :cool:

Unless you're hip to letting the sound guy EQ your amp, post-EQ is gonna end in tears more often than not, in my experience. It's hard enough to get someone who's gonna let you use the DI off your amp at all, much less post-EQ. Personally, when I'm mixing I'll try anything the artist wants. What happens next sometimes cannot be spoken of though.