Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Recorded Tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dave Castelo, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    in your humble opinion, which album or recording has the best bass tone and mixed correctly?

I find the Geddy´s (Rush) Tone on Moving Pictures near PERFECT...

also Eric Wilson (sublime) on Robbin´the hood... this was done on four tracks and the Bass is very clear and strong (SOUNDS MORE THAN THE GUITAR! :D)... My Fave!
    check songs like: Greatest Hits, Lincoln Highway dub, falling Idols, All you need.

and of course almost any solo bassist recording has amazing bass tone... but they don´t count here, just bands etc.

ok...

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i also like geddy's tone on MP. in fact i think it's the best tone ever recorded.

3. I vote for any number of Joe Osborn tracks from the late '60's/early '70's - he's got such a great tone, with such fullness and clarity.

Both Sides Now (1969 Neil Diamond version)
    Ventura Highway - America
    Superstar - The Carpenters
    I Am, I Said - Neil Diamond
    Gentle On My Mind - Glen Campbell

4. I'll throw in another vote for Geddy's tone on "Moving Pictures." I also really like the bass tone on the Tool album "Undertow."

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    although i loathe this band, Duff McKagan's tone on GNR's Appetite for Destruction

blackandwhite and jamersonburton like this.
  6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Lots of tones hit me:
    Chris Glen's sound on "Vambo" by SAHB
    "Lido Shuffle" from Boz Scaggs
    Martin Turner on "Handy" by Wishbone Ash (and dozens of others like "Phoenix" or "Runaway", or....)
    Dennis Dunaway on "Blue Turk" from Alice Cooper
    John Wetton on "Lark's Tongue in Aspic, Pt. 2" from King Crimson
    "Should I Stay or Should I Go" - The Clash
    Glenn Hughes on "Feeling So Much Better Now" from Trapeze

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Dave mathews band under the table and dreaming! And crash! Great lows and wonderfull mids! Also another band that will be on that list i hate! will be extreme III i hate that band but damn he gets my vote on great bass tone!

8. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I don't know who he/she is or what she/he uses, but the bass players sound on Shemekia Copelands "Wicked" cd just flat out knocked my teeth in. I would try to sound just like it...but I don't have a clue. I bet it is a paleolithic p-bass played through some old ampeg that weighs more than the sun.

-1/2note

9. ill second to that

10. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Queenryche. Album "Empire"

Track "Della Brown"

11. I agree with Moving Pictures. I also like his tone on Signals. Other great tones would be Billy Sheehan on the first Mr. Big album and Doug Pinnick of King's X on Dogman.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The best recorded tone... I've always liked the Spector tone John Myung of Dream Theater has on their Images & Words album. Very sweet. But of course, Geddy's tone on MP is up there as well. I dig Michael Manring's tone on Thonk as well. Or Jaco on Heavy Weather. Can't decide which I like better.

13. Jaco-on anything
    Jean Jaques Burnel-any Stranglers album
    Bruce Thomas- This Years Model
    Mike Brignadello-anything he's on
    Emory Gordy Jnr-ditto
    John Entwhistle-My Generation
    Los Van Van- anything
    Sting-most everything
    Family Man-Babylon
    Paul Chambers- everything he ever played on
    Stanley Clarke- Live At The Greek

14. Pretty much anything by Bernard Edwards from Chic, and Stuart Zender (especially the tones he gets on Return on the Space Cowboy album).

15. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have to add P-Nut from 311...He has a great tone

16. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    most Jonas Hellborg stuff, but his sound is all about studio, but that doesen't matter I guess.

17. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I love the fact that the thread kicked off with a vote for Ged on Moving Pictures...no arguments from me there! I like his tone on many albums of theirs, some songs in particular, but that album is somewhat definitive for his tone I think.

There's some other bands that have a bass tone I really dig too, a couple were mentioned (Tool and DMB)

18. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Pretty strange that only one person mentioned Jaco. I know that I wouldn't have, but still, you'd expect more postings from people around here.

19. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Tom Hamilton of Aerosmith -- just great, ballsy, rock n' roll tone.

For a specific example, listen to "Monkey On My Back" on the "Pump" album.

In a previous post I called him a "Tone Monster."

Kitsapbass likes this.
  20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Two - Marty and I.