Best Recording Gear / DAW for Vista

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

So after being really dissapointed finding out that I wont be able to use the Mbox 2 gear with Vista because I have installed SP1 I'm on the hunt for something else.

I'm used of using Pro Tools from back at school but I dont know if thats an option anymore ?

If not what would you guys suggest ?

I will be using it to record tracks one at a time so it doesnt matter about number of inputs. I will be mainly recording solo bass, vocals and possibly acoustic guitar (probably through a mic)

Im running Vista Home Premium x32 bit on a decent high perfromance laptop.

Thanks
    Stingray_EB

2. My advice, good luck. I haven't found much of anything that supports Vista SP1.

Upgrade to XP.

3. gearwhine

gearwhine

Aug 8, 2007
    I've got a presonus firebox. I just plugged it in after a while of not using it. Totally didn't even think about me having vista SP1 now (home premium 32 bit). Right now I'm getting low input volumes (I have a post asking about this). Not sure if this is vista's problem, or something else. Either way...it is basically working with SP1. Give me a few days and I may figure out what the problem is. -Nick

4. thanks gearwhine, the firebox was one of my options, am I correct in the thinking this comes with the Ableton Live Light DAW ?

5. laboitenoire

laboitenoire

Jul 5, 2006
    If I'm correct, Sonar supposedly works pretty well with Vista.

6. Sonar is the cakewalk program right ?

7. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aren't you going about this backwards. Pick your software/hardware then setup the computer up to its needs. Dual boot the computer if that what it takes.

8. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    +101

9. gearwhine

gearwhine

Aug 8, 2007
    Ableton live light? never heard of that. If you buy new, it comes with Cubase LE. I don't have that though. I'm using it through Reaper (reaper.fm).

I just got it working properly again. For some reason SP1 was causing something with low input volumes. I rolled back that install and all is working well again. SP1 is made mostly of prereleased updates anyway, so it's not a huge deal in my opinion to get rid of it. Just make sure all the other windows updates are taken care of.

10. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I use sonar 7 with good results. I don't really know how to use the program right but Through my Edirol UA-25 My basses come through pretty clear and the software doesn't seem to have any issues running multitracks. McAfee causes a bump here or there.

Actually Sonar works better than most programs like firefox and Itunes They just don't get along with Vista.

11. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    I would say go back to XP Pro. Still should be able to find copies. The other option is what I did. I decided I needed a new PC but I did not want Vista so now I have a sweet 24" iMac and it is amazing. No looking back (and I also run PT LE with an MBox 2). I guess the main thing is I would resist changing DAW/SW (with the cost and learning curve) merely to match a crappy OS.

Later
    Rob

PS - However, one would assume with some time they will get the kinks out of SP1 and ProTools. I had to wait about 2 months after I bought my Mac for PT LE to be ready for OS X Leopard. Maybe you just need to wait a bit. What does the DUC say about SP1 compatibility?

12. Having recently done this myself, and having to work 'backwards' like you are, I decided upon my software and interface, and simply made sure they work with Windows.

The software will work with Vista, but the interface I ordered isn't yet guaranteed to work with it. So if I have to, I'll load XP on my machine (It's too spec'd out to ditch). And there's a chance that Vista will read the 'inferior' OS (XP) and give me the option of doing a dual boot. And if that doesn't work, I'll simply load XP in place of Vista.

This has caused me quite the headache, but I've figured out a line of approach. Vista simply isn't the OS of choice when it comes to high performance DAW systems. Period.

13. Jim Roseberry

Jim Roseberry

May 24, 2007
    This is especially true if you're talking about maximum performance at ultra low latency settings (<6ms).

Vista results in higher DPC latency on a given system.
    Higher DPC latency makes a DAW more prone to dropouts/glitches/etc.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021