Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best reggae artist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pharmecopia, Oct 29, 2003.

1. bob marley / wailers

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. jimmy cliff

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. the skatalites

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. other

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    best reggae artist? if other, post your choice.

2. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    Im listening to the skatalites at the moment.

But i voted for Bob, more so for his early work though.

Its hard to explain, and i dont wanna sound like a fag, but there's something about his music that really moves me. When he speaks, i listen, he's larger than life imo..... i put him in the same catergory as i put jaco. Revolutionary performers that will always hold their own, and in many ways will remain untouchable for eternity.

And his band ....WHOA .......family man is a king. Only james browns bands comes close, when it comes to tasty pocket playing imo.

Having said that though peter tosh's "legalize it" cd is definitely one of my all time favs. 'Why must i cry' is a killer track, actually, every track's a killer:D

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Slot dont worry you dont sound like a fag because Bobs music moves you. I always look for music that moves me. Bob and the Wailers definitely do just that. Family Man is indeed king of reggae bass. Their feel was incredible.

BTW try a major 10th next time you want to throw in a maj 3rd. Its my favorite double stop! :D :cool:

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "Best" is a riduculous concept in musical discussions.

My personal favorite reggae "artist" is the band Third World

5. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    the wailers early stuff is excellent. check out the cd called "the wailers studio one hits" or something like that. their ska stuff is amazing, and of course bob's solo reggae is classic. i voted for the skatalites, because i believe they have done the most for reggae and jamaican music out of all the other artists. they were the wailers band when they were on studio one, and without them, i dont think there would be reggae. thats just my opinion though.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The only reggae-related stuff I can tolerate in larger doses is Bad Brains.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Though more on the ska side, I've got to go with Judge Dread as one of my definite favorites. That's probably the only consistent one I would list as a favorite. Others fall into and out of favor with me alot.

8. UB40 for their album,- "Present Arms."

RadioDread, - for their Dub version of "OK Computer"

SpaceMonkeys,- for their dub version of "Gorillaz, -Laika , Come Home."

Fat Freddy's Drop,- for keeping dub alive and well Downunder.

many, many more.

9. DubHunter

DubHunter

Feb 15, 2008
    Miami, FL
    There is no drum and bass section that tapped into a wealth of groove like Carlton and Aston Barret. They crafted a feel and sound that is absolutely incredible. You can't deny the power of the one drop.

10. The Upsetters, anyone? Toots & the Maytals?

11. Anybody that likes reggae should check out the Studio One catalog. They are the best label in Jamaica and were there at the very creation of of ska and reggae. Just about every major reggae artist started at Studio One. There are thousands of tracks on many excellent compilations by Soul Jazz records and others.

12. My favorite would have to be matisyshu. Very talented vocalist and great bans as well.

13. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    There are so many different styles of reggae. As a huge fan of reggae I refuse to participate in this discussion.

14. CrashBang

CrashBang

Jan 1, 2008
    Newton, MA
    How can we forget Dread Zeppelin. A band doing reggae covers of Zeppelin with an Elvis impersonator as a front man/singer.

I voted for BMW. I had no soul before I heard No Woman No Cry.