Best rehearsal combos around 500-800 USD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMFender, Aug 9, 2004.

1. MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    I need around 150 watts.
    I want a combo amp.
    I need to use it in rehearsals with a loud drummer.
    I want a nice price but a quality sound.
    I will order the amp from a shop.So the price will be doubled for me than in USA.
    (i am in Turkey)
  2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    So, given the "doubling" statement, are you looking for a 500.00-800.00 value in US terms or in Turkey terms? In other words, does that 500.00-800.00 figure take the "doubling" effect into account?

If not, I'd recommend a G-K combo.
  3. Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Mesa Boogie combo is going to give you alot more power 400watts and very light weight $1000 (over your budget but can also be used to perform with).

The other possibility is to buy a MarkBass combo from Italy and at 280watts at 17kg for the 112combo price is $700 or so

The SWR SuperRedhead is good and can be had used. But can't carry with one hand.

For me rehearsals are a regular event. And pulling it in and out of a car every week or 3 times a week can get really heavy.

I use a SWR Bassic Black cab at 120watts , good cab , but wont cut through with a loud drummer and 2 50 watt stacks

GK 200mb or 150mb is probably one of the most portable rigs to use. I used one for a long time.

Personally I would go with the MarkBass combo or Mesa Boogie both are very good. 150watts seems like alot of power but if you are competing against a loud drummer and guitar player , you will need at least 200-300watts

A Schroeder bass cabinet can be had for $600 and then add a bass head but that puts you over the budget.

The other possibility is a powered bass speaker. A couple German companies make them along with EBS in Sweden. Prices seem to be around $600.

The other thing you have to think about is voltage.
    Not sure what voltage in Turkey but here in Japan I have to use 100v which can cause some problems since the USA is 120v.

Robert VanLane