1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best rehearsal combos around 500-800 USD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMFender, Aug 9, 2004.

1. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    I need around 150 watts.
    I want a combo amp.
    I need to use it in rehearsals with a loud drummer.
    I want a nice price but a quality sound.
    I will order the amp from a shop.So the price will be doubled for me than in USA.
    (i am in Turkey)

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    So, given the "doubling" statement, are you looking for a 500.00-800.00 value in US terms or in Turkey terms? In other words, does that 500.00-800.00 figure take the "doubling" effect into account?

If not, I'd recommend a G-K combo.

3. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Mesa Boogie combo is going to give you alot more power 400watts and very light weight $1000 (over your budget but can also be used to perform with).

The other possibility is to buy a MarkBass combo from Italy and at 280watts at 17kg for the 112combo price is $700 or so

The SWR SuperRedhead is good and can be had used. But can't carry with one hand.

For me rehearsals are a regular event. And pulling it in and out of a car every week or 3 times a week can get really heavy.

I use a SWR Bassic Black cab at 120watts , good cab , but wont cut through with a loud drummer and 2 50 watt stacks

GK 200mb or 150mb is probably one of the most portable rigs to use. I used one for a long time.

Personally I would go with the MarkBass combo or Mesa Boogie both are very good. 150watts seems like alot of power but if you are competing against a loud drummer and guitar player , you will need at least 200-300watts

A Schroeder bass cabinet can be had for $600 and then add a bass head but that puts you over the budget.

The other possibility is a powered bass speaker. A couple German companies make them along with EBS in Sweden. Prices seem to be around $600.

The other thing you have to think about is voltage.
    Not sure what voltage in Turkey but here in Japan I have to use 100v which can cause some problems since the USA is 120v.

Thanks

Robert VanLane