1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best reliable compressor for passive jazz bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Slpbass81, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    I have gone through two EBS multi comps (old version and newer version) over the past couple years with minimal use. I know others have had great results with EBS pedals lasting but I haven't been as lucky. In comparison I'm still rocking BOSS tu-2 and OC-2 on my pedalboard for 22 years.

I am considering buying a BOSS Bass Compressor BC-1x for my passive fender jazz bass playing live. Wanted to see if there were any other recommendations for a compressor with this bass.

lowendrachel likes this.
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm more interested in hearing what happened to two EBS compressors...I always figured the EBS stuff was a fairly safe bet.

There's a bunch o' gear in the TB classifieds that caught my eye. "Best buy" IMO is the Seymour Duncan DoubleBack which was the predecessor to the SD Studio Bass.

Riis

/\/\3phist0 and Tubehed like this.
  3. danster

danster Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    I play a passive jazz bass -Squier VM 70's - and have a similar pedal setup...Boss OC-2, Boss bass chorus, and MXR M80 DI. I've been using the MXR M87 bass compressor (first in the chain) for a while now. Works well

ComeHomeShane, eriky4003 and Tubehed like this.
  4. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    +1 on the Doubleback. I believe it is the same circuit as the Studio Bass in a larger enclosure. Picked one up awhile back for about $40 and it is excellent. I prefer the MXR M87, mainly for the meter, but the Doubleback is easily in the same league.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  5. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Lots of great choices!

To my ears, the Jazz bass has a distinctive mid-range character, even more so when you roll-back towards the bridge pick-up. The DoubleBack has the selectable blend (full, mid, high) which allows you to re-introduce that mid-range "burp" if overly attenuated. Even a single LED compression indicator would be better than nothing. My Empress has metering out-the-wazoo but I wouldn't mind having another SDDB on my second board.

Riis

6. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    Yeah, the selectable blend feature is awesome. Great pedal overall and a total bargain when you can find one.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  7. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I bought the original mutlicomp used and after a year it died. I liked it so I purchased the blue label multicomp (not the one released this year). After a year it started cutting out during gigs so had to remove it from the board. Each probably lasted 80-100 gigs. It's hard to judge compressors without being able to go into a store but the BOSS obviously has me interested because I currently have 3 that have gone 1,000+ shows including being rained and snowed on and have 0 issues.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Jeez, I've had discount store weedwhackers last longer than that. I've never had to pursue a pedal repair before...I'd imagine it's not cheap which pretty much renders the budget-conscious offerings disposable.

BTW, how much snow do you get in Orlando?

Riis

ficelles likes this.
  9. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Look no further.

The Seymour Studio Bass is also excellent.

Al lot of pedal compressors cost more and offer more features than these two, but none are better in a functional, easy-to-use, low/no noise, sound great sense.

Amazing how many anecdotes I've read of those EBS comps failing.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    The JHS comp pedals are really clean and you can get a neat compression without color or oppressive limiting.

11. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Haha grew up in Vermont and also travel for gigs at times. Being in Florida pretty much gear gets rained on once per month.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  12. Keeley Bassist. Going strong for the last 3 years now since I got it. Been through a number tours and never a problem.

instrumentlevel likes this.
  13. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I'm not sure EBS gear is guaranteed waterproof... if you're playing in the rain maybe need to work out some pedalboard protection? A start would be remote passive switching with the actual pedalboard rainproofed. Rain + electricity is not good.

14. JoratioMumbles

JoratioMumbles Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    I play a passive fretless fender jazz. The best compressor i have ever used is the Darkglass Hyper Luminal compressor. It features three compressors in one, and you can adjust each one of those via the pedals controls, but also individually in the darkglass suite. I have the attack and high pass filters all set a little different on mine. It is a very high quality and adaptable compressor. I cannot recommend it enough. You will not be disappointed.

you might be inclined to check out the compressor comparison by @scubaduba

4 Strings Good likes this.
  15. Marky83dam

Marky83dam

Feb 2, 2020
    Hi I’ve finally put my pedals on a board and I wondered what order the compressor should go ive got it 2nd from last fuzz’s first then synth compressor then EQ if you know more than me Any help on where I’ve gone wrong would be much appreciated here’s a pic of board 5661C8EE-EFE8-4F7F-BE4F-0B07A6BEADC9.jpeg

16. Marky83dam

Marky83dam

Feb 2, 2020
    99B8159F-EACD-45AA-96BD-7273D8D6357A.jpeg

arca_tern likes this.
  17. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    http://compressorpedalreviews.com

JoratioMumbles likes this.
  18. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I'm using the much maligned Boss LMB-3. Thing can withstand a nuclear war.

Guiseppe and Tubehed like this.
  19. tlite

tlite Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    FWIW. Good and bad. I have loved the MXR Bass Compressor. Mine is a 2011 model. It has weathered a lot.

Just pooped out on me last week. LED meter just went haywire and was stuck on. That's the bad.

The good: Jim Dunlop is totally standing behind their product. Despite it being well out of warranty they were great to deal with and are fixing it. I just had to ship it to them. That means a lot.

Just a FWIW if you are considering that pedal.

Tubehed likes this.
  20. Keeley