Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best replacement 10's for handling the "B" string?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Oct 17, 2005.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    The Delta 10's in my Avatar B210 cannot take the low freq's at higher volume. I know Dave sells Neo's that supposedly do a good job with the B string.

Can anyone recommend me a good replacement 10's and a source that sells them?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Beta 10, BP102. Beta has twice the xmax of the Delta, BP102 four times. http://www.bltsound.com/
    Deltalite 2510 is a good neo, but not cheap.

3. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Thanks much for the info Bill, I am checking it out now.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Only two 10's? You don't need different speakers - you need MORE speakers. I'd say keep your cab as is and add a 15 under it.

Those BP102's go low, but they're not very loud (at least on paper)

5. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Hi Pete, I do have a 1X15 cab. I do not care to lug it around, only for the occasional outdoor gig.

I use the 2X10 cab 95% and want to upgrade it a bit. Thanks :)

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    They're victims of the typical smoke and mirrors that goes on in this business, The nominal sensitivity rating of the Delta 10 is 99dB, the BP102 91dB , so the Delta at a glance appears much better. But at 50 Hz and 100 Hz the Delta figures are only 84dB and 88dB, while the BP102 is at 88dB and 92dB respectively. So while the Delta is much better for guitar, in both low frequency sensitivity and excursion it pales rather badly compared to the BP102.

7. The BP102 downside is that it requires a substantial amount of cabinet volume, 2.2 to 3.5 cubic feet per driver, depending on the chosen vented alignment.

You can stuff this driver into a too-small cabinet, and it will sound that way: a big Eden hump in the 80 ~ 120 Hz midbass region, and gutless below the steep rolloff point. This is a consequence of the BP102 being a high-Qts driver with the built-in hump/rolloff characteristic.

The BP102 is out of gas above 2,000 Hz, so a supplemental high frequency driver is also required.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I would have taken your word for it until a TBer (I forget who) built a 4x10 with this driver and compained that he could never hear himself. We tried to blame comb filtering, which no doubt would have been present in the typical 4x10 speaker placement he used. But it's present in all the other 4x10's out there, and people seem to able to get those up to gig volume.

9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I would suggest you call Dave at Avatar and ask him which speaker to use! You're rolling the dice just buying speakers and hoping they will work. Dave also has the best prices on raw speakers so you can't go wrong calling him.

10. SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Now this is a great piece of advice Low!