Best replacement tuners for Epi Tbird?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mikepinkerton, Nov 10, 2017.

1. mikepinkerton

mikepinkerton

Dec 30, 2013
    Ashburn, VA
    I love my new Epi Tbird, but the tuners seem to be the weakest link. There's a lot of play and travel in them, so I figured I'd replace them with something nicer. I found a few with high ratings on amazon, but the hole size and screw alignment seem to be hit-or-miss with people giving conflicting opinions on what fits and what doesn't.

Has anyone replaced the tuners in their Epi Tbird and are able to provide info on something they know fits?

Thanks!

2. clivem

clivem Guest

Dec 1, 2016
    I put Schaller M4-90 Light tuners on my Epi Classic Pro T'Bird.
    Hipshot HB6 3/8", or Gotoh GB350 Res-o-lite, would also be good choices assuming you want a light 40-45gm, premium tuner.
    Gotoh GB707 should also be fine and cheaper, but add 20gm per tuner.

mikepinkerton and Zooberwerx like this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, some of those import tuners are hit-or-miss. The only thing you can do is make sure the ferrules are snug and tighten the the attachment / tension screws on the buttons. One of the better cost-conscious replacements is the Hipshot lic'd 3/8" Ultralites.

Riis

mikepinkerton likes this.
  4. mikepinkerton

mikepinkerton

Dec 30, 2013
    Ashburn, VA
    Thanks both! I was eyeing the Hipshot HB6 3/8" so glad to get some corroboration that they work.

Does the extra weight make that much difference?

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    On a T-bird, every gram counts. If price is not an issue, I'd go with the Gotoh Res-o-lites.

Riis

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021