1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Resistors for Stacked Knob PJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, May 12, 2011.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I'm putting together a PJ, and I'd like to utilize stacked 500k/500k pots for both pickups, setup VT/VT.

What value resistors should I go for to reduce crosstalk between the tone controls?

What values are best for a treble bleed circuit?

Thanks!

2. ...?

Crosstalk (electronics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think you should be having problems with that on a passive bass, and if you were, I'm not sure that resistors would help you. If you mean tone pot interactions, AFAIK there is no way to prevent that except through the use of active buffering.

If you were to use a 3-way pickup selector switch, or two on/off switches, it would be very simple to wire it up so that the neck and both positions used Tone 1, and the bridge alone used Tone 2; but that's the best you can do without active circuitry. (I could be wrong, but I doubt it.)

As for your second question, the treble bleed, I don't use resistors for my treble bleeds, I use a .001 cap, bridging terminals 1 and 2 of the volume pot. They work just fine for me. Not sure why you'd use a resistor instead of a cap - some guitarists do, or use a combination, but I've never managed to get one to give me a convincing answer as to why a resistor + cap is better for treble bleed than just a cap.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The 1960 Jazz bass used 220k resistors. I'd try something lower, like 10k. Also try it without. You will always get some interaction between pickups, but the resistors minimize it.

4. What, really?!? Do explain!

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Two passive pickups load each other down. To get around this, you either have to buffer and then mix them, or add some series resistance.

You never actually hear the tone of both pickups mixed on a passive setup. You hear a composite tone including the loading affects.

But Fender dropped the resistors when they also dropped the stacked pots. You don't need the resistors to use stacked pots, and it was probably mostly to try and isolate the two tone controls from each other.

6. Keep in mind, however, that they were usually wired with the wiper terminals of the volumes as outputs. With 10k resistors, soloing one pickup will place a 10k resistance across the output, which may result in a serious volume drop.

If you are going to be using very low values, it may be necessary to use the wiper terminals of the volume pots as their inputs, like on a standard Jazz bass, rather than the traditional "stacked" wiring.