Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best reverb for the price

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LL bassist, Feb 15, 2006.

1. My teacher never plays without reverb and has got me hooked on it. Neither of us use very much of but, but we dial up enough to make it sound less dry. I can get some good reverb out of my pandora but i dont find that the pandora is practical for band practice or gigs. I am getting an Alembic F-2b (gonna fart so big and its gonna make most of my GAS go away) so im not gonna have more than 250 to spend after that, even though i really dont want to spend over 150 unless the pedal is spectacular. What is the best reverb pedal for the money? Also, this is off topic, i cant figure out how to get an avatar by my name.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    for an avatar you need to be a supporting member. There is a link to sign up in the left column.

For a bass reverb, I dig the EBS pedal... but have yet to do more than play one at a store. Some day I'll pick one up myself.

3. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I'm wondering if it possible to get reverb from a delay pedal. If not realy, I think good option for delay is Holy Grail, not too expencieve also. I know there is new Marshall reverb, which is also quite inexpencieve and has 6 modes.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Long as you're going the rack route. Lexicon MPX-110 used will set you back around a C note. You can foot switch it on & off or midi control it to flop between all the time based effects you could possible want.

The very best reveb I've ever heard for bass is that from the log tank, Fender reverb as found in the Deluxe, Pro Reverb, Twin, Showman, etc... I'm not aware of any pedal that can do that at any price...

I find it odd that your instructor actually teaches with Reverb though. Normally that would be considered as possibly masking things a bit.

Mal

5. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I like my Holy Grail as well.

Jason

6. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    +1 for the holy grail. You can get really nice reverb and then you can get a rediculous amount to if you just wanna make noise.

My friends Boss RV-5 sounds great to and that has a little delay on it to.

You can defintly use a delay pedal for reverb. Thats what my lead guitar player uses and it sounds great. He uses a boss DD-6

7. I have a EH Holy Grail... it nails the old Fender reverb tone pretty much perfectly. It also does a very good "BIG" reverb & another odd sound, I can't remember the name for it... also, i haven't tried the Verbzilla from Line6, but the rest of their products I am familiar with have great reverbs. I have the Tap Tremolo pedal from this same Tone Core line of pedals, it is great...

8. yes, you can get a delay to work like a reverb, as reverb is (AFAIK) a whole bunch of echos set at different times...

as for reverbs, i like the lexicon reverb, and i am pretty impressed with the sound samples with that line 6 reverb

9. HOLY GRAIL!!!

Electro Harmonics make great stuff, everything ive heard of thiers has just a really nice rich sound to it, ive been trying to steal my guitarists holy grail for months now:p

10. Well i study with Dave LaRue over at bass central and i frequently go into the store even when i dont have a lesson. So i was wondering if any of you see anything on bass central's website that is worth trying out. If you dont know the website its basscentral.com. Im not really looking into a multi effects pedals or rackmounts because i can use my pandora for that, but i just want a single really good reverb pedal or rackmount (if any body sells those). Thanks everybody for your input so far.

11. Any more input would be appreciated. :smug:

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I use a Furman rackmount unit that I picked up used for something like $50 a few years back. Can't remember the exact model name, but it's a true 3-spring reverb (might switch to a 5-spring tank, though) with EQ.

edit: It's a Furman RV-1. There's one on eBay now for about $10. I would post a link, but have trouble getting that to work with these computers at school.

13. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    what about the new Marshall Reflector pedal - retails at about £60 over here.
    Good quality sounds in a compact pedal

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Holy Grail IS a reverb. Memory Man is the Delay pedal from EHX.

That being said, the Holy Grail is a great little box for not too much cash. It's got a VERY natural sounding Spring setting, and the Hall and 'flerb' settings are very usable. For the price, it beats out any of the others.

I looked at both BOSS and digitech, and was very dis-satisfied with their sound, especially given that both run in the $120+ range.

You can get a Holy Grail for $100 new, less used. It should come with an Adapter, as it's 9v, but it uses more current than a battery will give you.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    OH, yes-yes! Showman! A buddy of mine has a showman head with a tiltable fender sealed 1X18, and BABY! -does the 'verb sound killer on that head for bass.

One related question that I have is this: I'd like to get a bass-'verb that DOESN'T 'verb the low-end! Is there one known for that - one that lets all the dry-lows through, but very-much cuts the verb-lows??

Joe

16. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    You could probably more or less pull that off with a loooper w/blend pot. I'll have to try it sometime...

Jason

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The one I mention, the Furman RV-1 has onboard EQ and blend, so you should be able to filter through some dry-ish lows and only 'verb the mids and highs. I've never tried that, so I'm not really sure. I find it's got a pretty strong Fender-ish sound to it, being that it's a true spring reverb. I would like to switch to a 5-spring tank, however, to get that super-lush Fendery 'verb.

18. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Digital stompbox:
    EBS: is great but pricey.($235)
    EH holy grail (warmer, but noisier) or a digitech digiverb (very nice and very versatile)($99)

Spirngs in a stompbox:
    Little Lanilei: Price is right but can be noisy and does not like some other pedals in the chain($195 IIRC)
    VanAmps reverbamate: Amazing but expensive($300)

Rack and Springs:
    Demeter: Amazing and very clear but the most expenisve of all($650)
    Peavey Valverb: Great for the price but discontinued and hard to find. Also a great tremolo($250-$300 used, price going up)
    Fender Tank: Meh.($450)
    Guyatone Tank: See Fender Tank.

Rack Digital:
    Take your pic from the lexicon line based on you budget.($100 used - ????)

19. It's nice alone, but with a band, go without it.