Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best rig for $1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hugh Jazz, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Hi,

I'm looking to get a bass rig/stack. My budget is ~$1500. I play a 5 string bass (hopefully a 6 string in the future), almost entirely fingerstyle. My band is a progressive band that plays stuff from heavy/progressive metal, similar to Tool...even though they don't really qualify into those categories...but you get the idea, to softer Radiohead-esque stuff.

The sound I want is something like that of Justin Chancellor of Tool (even though he uses a pick and I don't), which is basically a treble filled sound with enough low end boom to back it up. I want the notes to be distinguishable.

The basic setup I want is a 4x10 (or even a 4x8) and either a 15" or 18" cab for the lows. For this price range, I'm looking at the Carvins, especially the RL1018 stack. However, I can't decide on whether to get a 18" or a 15" cab for a sub. I've heard mixed reviews for both. I can't try them out because the Carvin factory is on the other side of the country.

I would appreciate anyone's input. I am also open to other suggestions, so please let me know of anything. I need to get the setup within a couple of weeks, so I really really appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

Aborted Fetus

2. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    No one? Anyone? Bueller?

3. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I prefer a 15 to an 18. I feel the bass is tighter and will probably be better for the type of music you're talking about.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I was at the same point.
    I was undecided between the 15" or 18"
    I chose the 18" Because of the frequency response down to 38Hz, while the 15" does 45Hz.

My RL1018 could be arriving at the end of next week, so I could give some feedback.

In a recent poll, the RL1018 won over all the other Carvin Rig Combinations (2 4x10", 1 8X10" and 1 4x10 and 1 1x15")

You could also go with a 8x10"

5. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    An 8x10 doesn't seem right for me in that it's not very portable, and I think it will lack the low end punch of a 15" or 18". However, if they do end up being good, I might have to give it a try.

Luis: I read some of your earlier posts, and I think we might be in a similar situation (except i don't go quite as low as you do with the whole low F# thing!). The lowest I'll go is *usually* the low D on the B. Mainly because the amp I play through now, a guitar amp, can't handle anything lower than that. Plus I don't see myself going down to the B or C too often (I use the middle frets/notes on the B instead of playing low notes on the E). I am leaning towards the 18" for exactly the same reason as you mentioned too, so I would be EXTREMELY interested in your reply/review of the RL1018.

Also, are there any other brand names who cater more or less a complete rig (I especially want the sub) in this price range?

6. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Hey! I actually never went down to Low F# because I discarded the idea of a 7 String Bass. Mostrly because my hands wont handle it, and that Low F# is almost meaningless in fast music.

On the R810T, I didnt get that one, because of portability too. My small car wont eat that huge cab. And I really believe the 18" will give me more lows.

It is also in my plans to get an Aditional RL410T so I can run the R1000 birdged with both RL410T only. Just for a test.
    After all, I know somebody is going to buy that rig soon.

As soon as I get it and try it with both my basses and a Spector NS2000Q4 (Wich Im also going to review. Its not mine but for a customer) I will review the RL1018
    First at home , and then with my band.

Stay Tuned!

7. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    I'll be anxiously waiting for your review(s).

I was talking to some of my friends, and I began to think that maybe I should spend more and get an Ampeg rig, although it will take me a while to get something as "complete" as the Carvin stack. I'm torn between these choices, but I think I'm going to put my faith into Carvin and go with them. I also want overdrive and chorus pedals, which I might be able to get after getting the Carvin, whereas if I got with ampeg, I have to wait till I have enough money to get an ampeg, and then the pedals. Or I might try running my bass through my guitar fx board.

I'm sure many of you might advise me to save up and get the ampeg, but the here's the deal: the current amp I play through is'nt loud enough for live drums, so there's basically no point to my playing. Also, after getting the Carvin, I will have some money left over for other expenditures (college kids need money badly), whereas an Ampeg would suck out every single penny I earned over the summer, and then some. I have to draw the line somewhere. And since I'm not a pro by ANY means, I think Carvin is the better choice for me.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll be famous (or making enough money) allowing me to upgrade to my "dream rig" (whatever that may be).

Anyway, I still want to hear what other people have to say, especially about the 15" and the 18".

Luis: I don't think I mentioned it before, but I plan to biamp the RL1018. I hope you do too, because then your reviews will mean more to me. I really the hope the 18's are punchy and deep enough for those low notes.

8. How about Peavey? I'm sure you could get a Firebass 2 and a couple of their cabs for around that price. Check out there stuff if you haven't already.

9. Imabassplayr

Imabassplayr

Aug 5, 2001
    why don't u try the nemesis head? 600 watts... and made by eden (of course its nemesis line, but the nemesis combos i've heard are pretty cool). it goes for like $600 in musicians friend i think (www.musiciansfriend.com)

10. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    How do Nemesis amps compare to Edens (are there any differences) and Carvins?

Since Edens are known for their deep sound, I would love to own a 4x10 and 1x15 setup by them. But I bet that's out of my price range.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    To tell you the truth, It was a hard choice between Ampeg and Carvin.
    Im a dealer for both brands, and get great prices.
    Sincerily, the price difference for me at first was just about $300.
    The Ampeg rig I was configuring was an Ampeg SVP-PRO Carvin DCM1000, Ampeg SVT410HE and SVT115E.

Why did I get the Carvin?
    Being an Ampeg fan since I started,and an Ampeg user,I really wanted to be still with Ampeg, but always tried to find a more hi-fi sound aproach and versatility, I went into Eden Vs Carvin comparisons. Many people said that Carvin were Poormans Edens.

After all that, I sold a couple of Carvin Guitar Amps, MTS3200 and MTS3212.
    When I heard those and saw the building quality I was just Astonished.
    Carvin has a very high standard in quality. And the Tone... was a lot better than any other amp I have heard.
    That settled it.
    I was going to take the Carvin risk.
    After talking to International Orders, they decided to endorse me with even greater discounts, so It was a no brainer in that moment, I had to get a Carvin.

And after reading long reviews about the Carvin RL1018 I believe Im going to be very happy with It.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "Low end punch", what is that?

The reason Ampeg 8-10s sound great for loud rock is they lack the real lows so therefore they sound punchier than setups that go lower. Trust me, there is no "punch" at 30 Hz and below it's more like a "rumble".

Unless you are ready to go all out like JT or have access to great PA setups, trying to get super low fundamentals is almost useless. It's just hard to expect to get that sound in room after room unless you have LOTS of power, very good speakers (not Carvin or Ampeg) and the time to fine tune the rig. For playing the typical rock venue (i.e horrific acoustics) the super low end is going to be a crap shoot.

For $1500 you can easily afford a used SVT stack, still the benchmark amplifier for high volume rock.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, Nemesis is a cost reduced design from Eden.

They don't use wood for the cabinets, instead some sort of lightweight composite made from recycled materials. The speakers used are also cost reduced (lower power handling).

The amplifers are less full featured and lack the tube preamp stages.

The end result is cheaper and lighter weight amps. Sonically they are similar in character.

14. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Brianrost:

You're right, I meant low end rumble, and not punch. The 8x10s are very tempting, but the reason I haven't considered them as seriously as anything is because of their sheer size. It would be virtually impossible (or atleast very difficult and inconvenient) to transport those. I haven't really heard enough of them to get an idea on their sound. But from all the reviews I've read, it seems that they lack the deep sound that I really want. Now I don't want those earth shattering low fundamentals to kick everyone's bowels around (although it would be cool); rather, I want my notes to have enough bass on them so that when I play up (down?) on the neck (12 fret or so) or on the higher strings, I don't want the sound to be sterile and lacking the "beef." But there's probably a limit to how good the 18" will be for that.

I'm sure an 8x10 will be good enough, but the whole size is a little too much. However, I would not mind two 4x10s, because that would mean two horns rather than one (atleast in the case of Carvin).

I like the 4x10 and 18 setup because of biamping, which I really like.

I guess to some it all up, I would to know which amp setup would be best for low, deep, crispy notes, as long as it's within my budget. :cool:

15. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Thats the same reason I have thought about 2 4x10"... The Added horn.
    Man, we really think alike.

And on the 4x10" and 1x8" to try how good biamping is.

I believe the R1000 Head is second to none (At least from what I have read)
    But the cabs could be better, if you can get some used Eden´s D410XLT, thats something you could consider a lot.

16. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    There's no doubt about it...Eden's are killer. But there's really no way I can afford one.

Maybe sometime in the future I can have a nice customized setup (aMesa Boogie rig would be great), but until then I have to draw the line between fantasy and reality.

By the way, how do you become an official endorser of a manufacturer?

17. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, first I was just a regular Carvin On-Line customer.
    Then, because I live in Ecuador, I contacted International sales department to see if I could begin making some sales here using the Carvin name.
    Sending that E-mail to Carvin was great, because I inmediately got a great response from them, a distributor contract and their policys.

After checking the price list I was very happy because I knew that Carvin products would sell very good in here.

When I was looking for a new Bass rig and was ready to sell my Ampeg, I asked my sales manager at Carvin if they could offer me an extra discount.
    He ended offering me to be part of the endorsing program, wich is 1 time only per Distributor and it is done to promote sales in each country.
    So I got an Extra discount, an excelent Bass Rig, free publicity to sell more Red Line bass systems here, etc etc.
    What else can I ask for?

Carvin has been one of the best bussiness contacts I have in the U.S.
    And I have dealed with SWR, Eden (they are offering me some products now, but I dont think those would sell as easy as the Carvins), SLM (Ampeg and Crate... This guys are the worst to work with) , MTD (Great treatment, but almost no Market for that here, except the Kingston), etc , etc.

18. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    your selected handle is disgusting,
    offensive, and quite unnecessary.

what's up with that? that's sick, dude.
    :mad:

19. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW