Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    as may have noticed i have been posting alot lately.
    i have 800 big ones, but not sure wat to buy.
    (hanged for the millionth time)
    I've changed my mind, i love hartke. I've been tryin out basses at my local music store for two years, and they've all sounded awsome, and when i use my crap poop expicit explicit rouge head, i get a crap poop expicit explicit sound. At the store, i was using the hartke 3500 and man have i become attatched to it. The store wont let me turn it past three, and believe me, reasonably so. The cabs are a hartke 210 tp and a 115 tp. I have a SWR jr. goliath now, which is like 5 times better than the hartke. I think i found my sanctuary of bassness. check it out....

Hartke 350-loud, small, very compatible. Love the tube, fx send, kick ass LED!!!

SWR goliath III- Cranks for a 210, and lots of punch. Not to mention i got it for $275 :p

Eden d-115-light, small, quality, cheap

At this point, i'm going how i have heard it, im takin in my jr.on sat. and tryin it out. I think I will be quit pleased!
  2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I'd get the carvin RC210. Yea ive heard mixed reviews about the speakers, but you can always change out the existing carvin speakers with eminence Kappa's. someone on talkbass did that with there carvin 2x10 and said it sounded great.
  3. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Check last week I saw a super redhead on there for $900. That's a steal. Just go and look it's worth it.
  4. I would try to find a used eden metro. Best combo on the market in my opinon (and many others). You can probably find a used on for around 800.
  5. Used SVP-pro - $300
    Used Carvin FET900 - $140
    Home made 1x15 and 2-2x10's - $350-$400

Mix in a large bowl, pour into Jello-O molds, and cook at 350 for 30 minutes....woops. That's a chicken recipe.

I mean, add a rack case and cables. Play.

But I'd go get one of the super redheads. Those suckers can kick it.
  6. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    you could pick up an eden nemesis 2x10" combo and another 2x10" or a 1x15" for around $800 i think... thatd be 300 watts
  7. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I looked at some nemesis stuff. The 4 10 looked good, but is 225 loud enough? i usually play in a hall or auditorium with some what noisy people.
  8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Avatar 4x10 - about $300 with shipping

then either a decent powered $500 head off ebay (SWR Sm-400S comes to mind)

or get a carvin DCM1000 for $350 bucks and scrounge up a used preamp off ebay. that'd probably work.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    GK 400 rb head....i got mine for 420$ 2 years ago

SWR workingman's 1x15t cab 350$, 2 years ago

pretty good, depends on if you use 5+ or not though
  10. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    if youre playing a 4 string, id the the RC210. i did, and dont regret it. later switched to a 5 stringer, and the RC210 doenst really crank out the B that well. if you plan on playing a 5, i would go pick up a used R600 head for a couple hundred bucks, and a good used 410 or 212 cabinet. right now i have the RC210 in my dorm room at school, and it is more than enough for jams and practice. plenty loud enough for gigs if i avoid the smiley eq. its also very easy to remove the head if you later decide to upgrade the cabinet. (it also has the most power @600 watts/4 ohms, and IMO the R series heads are teh most versatile heads out there)

BTW yeah the speakers arent that great, but i havent blown em up yet, and ive been playin hard through it for 2 years now. doenst sound too bad. well the amp at least :)
  11. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I've seen used D-210XLT and WT-400s sold on ebay in your price range.
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Some ideas:

G-K 400RB/210
    G-K 400RB/115
    G-K MB115-whatever
    Eden Time Traveler 10
  13. I have a Carvin R600 and Eden 210 listed in the classifieds. I would be willing to sell both together for $700.
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

this is what TB is about...bringing people (and gear) together.

15. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    I have the opportunity for a goliath III junior for $275, should i buy the carvin r600 head and the srw goliath junior? I'm not sure what kind of sound it would produce, and if the cab would handle the r600's power for big gigs. or should i just stick with RC210?
  16. It depends, I htink in your situation, I would go with the R-600 from bass-boy for sure, and then the cab depends.

Since you are looking for more volume, I would go with the eden 2x10 IF it's an XLT model, otherwise I would go with the goliath junior if its the 2-10T model just because I believe the power handling is greater on the goliath jr than the 2-10T. But if that's an XLT series 2x10, I would jump on it if I were you, eden is known for its strong and hardy low-mids, and thats what gets you heard by an audience. From prior knowledge and experiences, the swr pro-series cabs have a bit more scooped sound....

Good luck.
  17. Further info...The cab is an eden d210-T....
    *250 watts RMS
    *103 dB SPL @ 1w 1m
    *60 lbs.
    *23"W x 17.5"H x 18.5"D

compared to the goliath jr.
    *350 watts RMS
    *105 dB SPL @ 1W1M
    *55 lbs.
    *23"W x 15.75"H x 16.5"D

As far as weight, power handling, output, and size go, the goliath jr. is favorable, but I'm not sure how the eden sounds, and I'm not sure which cab has better low-freq. response...

Good luck again...hope this helps.

Edited to add the info below...ansd more insight...

Now that I htink about it, and forgive me if I'm being too opinionated, nosey, or direct about any of this, but I was in a similar boat a while back and lucked out majorly...but anyways...

If you could get the R-600 for $350, and the goliath jr for $275, thats only that leaves you with $175 bucks left to spend, and thats a good savings or start towards a decent used 1x15 cab. Which would make quite the nice setup. I PERSONALLY would go for that setup, but do whatever you think is going to suit you the best...
  18. Please take the following info with a grain of salt as I am the one selling this gear and I may be in a bit of a "conflict of interest" situation here. When I was looking for a 210 cab I went to a music store here in Montreal (with Yvon, the technique mod here) and tried the Eden 210xlt and an SWR goliath jr. I found that I liked the punch of the Eden but it lacked clarity( keep in mind I am replacing this stuff with Euphonics Audio gear, so that's where I'm coming from sound-wise). I liked the clarity of the SWR more but when I tried out a friends on a gig it didn't cut enough for me fingerstyle (it sounded great for slap though) I went with the 210T because for me it combined what I liked about both cabs. YMMV
  19. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    If the carvin r600 is 600 watts, and the swr goliath III 4/8 ohms (not sure) how many watts can i cram maximum out the goliath? also, is this enough for 300 people in a hall?