1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best rig for my circumstances

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JetBlackJazz, Jul 20, 2012.

1. I play in a prog rock/metal band. I need a rig that will get some aggressive mids and still be relatively clean (and also be able add some grind). I don;t care for shearing, screaming highs or thundering lows. Just a punchy, articulate, reliable setup.

Think of a tone where Geddy Lee and Billy Sheehan got married and had a child that went to college for physics. Growling and punchy but restrained enough for my taste.

My definition of rig is head (or pre/pa) and cab.

I'd prefer it to be under $700ish.

Thanks

2. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Line6 Lowdown HD400 head and 410 cab. You can get any sound you want and they are very good on $ too. Or the Carvin Bx head and cabs are good too.

good luck with choice.

3. I'd also prefer analog.

4. GK would probably fit you needs just fine. What size venues do you play? How much power do you think you will need? In your price range I would look for a used 700RBII head and either a 2x12 or 4x10 cabinet.

5. I'd like at least 350 watts behind my rig (as much as watts matter but still)

6. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    The G-K 700rb-II is a very loud head for it's ratings which is 320 watts at 8ohms and 480 watts at 4ohms. I used to run one one through a G-K neo 212 it was loud with a good tone.

7. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I'd suggest a Aguilar Tone Hammer 500

8. Thanks for suggestions! Any opinions on the GK 700?

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    My thoughts exactly. I'd opt for the 2x12 rather than the 4x10, but that's strictly personal preference.

Two (2) GK 2x12 cabs, @ 8 ohms each, coupled with either a 700RB-II or a 1001RB-II (depending on whether you want to hit the rails, or you prefer the extra headroom), would get you almost anywhere you want to go... :meh:

MM,

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Something "post industrial punk funk neograss metal".
    If the salesman doesn't know what you mean go somewhere else.

11. Money money money

12. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    GK800RB. gets a distinct grind when pushing it and pretty versatile. A good 4 10, Id say ampeg. Buy both of these used and you should be in the under 700USD neighborhood.