Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best rig for overdriven sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Mar 21, 2002.

1. I can only spend up to $1000 at most, and I'd like to get a Jack Bruce/Colin Greenwood sort of sound... that is, Colin Greenwood's warmth with Jack Bruce's signature overdriven tone. I'm looking for something that'll work for small to medium venue sizes. I'm playing through a PRS with really hot pickups. I was looking at a used Ampeg SVT3-Pro, but I want to know what else is out there. (I don't mind using used equipment, so adjust the prices accordingly.

thanks,

Jamey

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Well... I'm a huge fan of Colin, and I know a bit about Jack Bruce. I really don't know what to tell you, but I can tell you what they both use:

Jack Bruce (in his Cream days) used marshall guitar heads and bass (I think) cabs, thus using the overdrive channel.

Greenwood uses an Alembic tube pre, a poweramp or a GK 800rb (as a poweramp) and ampeg 810/2x410 (at different times). Colin also runs compression most of the time via a DBX 160a.

My overall suggestion (because I like the tones you want) is my prospective rig: a SansAmp (bass driver DI, or preferrably the RBI rack one) and a poweramp combined with your favourate speakers. If you want overdriven, turn up drive (works well, I have a SABDDI) and if you just want warmth, turn down the drive just below the level of clipping.

Hope you find something good.

3. SWR IOD and poweramp

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what he said.

5. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Gallien-Krueger is coming out with a new distortion/sustain pedal called the DieselDawg. I had the opportunity to visit the factory today and try out the prototype and it sounds great!

I would definitely consider the DieselDawg if you are looking for a high quality distortion unit.

6. ditto, plus you can't over look a fifteen inch speaker for overdriven projection.

7. Keep an eye out for old Ampeg V-4's or V-4b's.

8. Okay thanks for the comments, but I have a couple more questions:

a) what about the SWR Interstellar Overdrive?

b) please explain to me what a power amp does. After all this time I am still clueless.

c) Based on my earlier post, does tube seem the best route to go?

d) Also, Bigfeet said that 15 inch speakers are best for that type of tone, could you recommend any to me?

and e) about how many watt amps would you recommend I use? I don't want too high wattage because I want to be able to push the amp.

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that's the beauty of the interstellar overdrive. you can get whatever kind of grind you want at whatever volume you want. an IOD, a DCM1000, and a Big Bertha 2x15 is the way i'd go if i wanted in your face ballsy gritty rock tone. you would be SOOOO loud too, it'd be ridiculous.

edit: oops. the preamp is what changes your tone, the poweramp is what takes the power from the wall and puts it to the speakers.

10. So how does that effect the tone? Or does it even effect it at all?

11. it generally shouldn't affect the tone...it just gives power to your sound so you can send it through the speakers...

12. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    70's Ampeg SVT and 8x10 cab. It's the king!

13. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    ...somehow i don't think that'll come in under the $800 limit:D

14. haha, I was thinking the same thing.

More questions:

About how much would a used IOD run for? Also, how would a SansAmp RBI running through an IOD sound?

15. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I've got less than $800 in mine! Deals are out there...

16. If I were bigger, and had some roadies to spare, I would definitely go for the SVT, but 8x10s are a little big...