best ring modulators?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theliamguy, Oct 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. theliamguy

theliamguy

Oct 9, 2015
    so I'm thinking about getting a ring mod pedal for my bass and I'm looking at the moog one but that's fairly expensive so I was wondering if there are any cheaper ring mod pedals that do the same thing or better
    thanks

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Way Huge Ringworm has a lot of different settings that get some crazy sounds. Ringworm kicks in at the 2:25 mark.

3. theliamguy

theliamguy

Oct 9, 2015
    but the ringworm's been discontinued

4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Used ones pop-up on eBay and other sites that sell used gear. They seem to go for around $100 used. I've been on the lookout for one myself but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Not sure if I really need one, but it sounds a fun toy to mess around with home if nothing else.

5. The Ringworm had some pretty bad carrier bleed from what I remember. I've used the big box EHX Frequency Analyzer for years. It sounds amazing but there is no expression input if that is a concern. The smaller version uses a different power load and people have told me it sounds different. A lot of people recommend the new Moog ring, have you look at that one?

AaronVonRock likes this.
  6. I use the moog mf-ring, ehx ring thing and ehx frequenzy analyser. They all have their pros and cons. The ring thing is the one you can do the most with, moog mf sounds the best and fq ana is still great sounding but the cheapest of the bunch. If you just wanna try it out and not spend too much, go with the fq analyser. But if you want to go into pitch shifting/tremolo/wammy-swells/octave up or down and save settings to switch between. And also tune the ring mods to what you're playing! It's the ring thing that is the one and only.
    Also, the little moog ringer can be used with battery while ehx fq ana must have 40v ac!

7. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The Ring Thing definitely gives you the most bang for your buck.

8. MCBass89

MCBass89

Jul 29, 2009
    Geek & Pedal Junky
    The Subdecay Vitruvian Mod is great as well.

9. That guit player has a really nice Wal! ;)

10. the ringworm (from what i can remember) did in fact have a ton of bleed and i think it doesn't run on 9v (it's 18v). i don't know if that is an issue for you or not.

11. sketch

sketch

Oct 16, 2013
    Tacoma, WA, USA
    ring mods...

I had the (original) DOD Gonkulator, which sucks. Can't 'tune' the carrier pitch, which bled in even in bypass, and had a poor frequency response - almost no lows at all. I have no idea why these were so hyped in the 00's when I picked it up.

I currently have LAL Sick Pitch King, which runs on standard 9V adapter, has inputs for instrument, carrier frequency, CV control (to sweep the internal carrier pitch with expression pedal or what have you), and dry & effected outputs. Carrier pitch is audible if you aren't playing, but not outstandingly loud. This is the original, they now have a Sick Pitch King Jr, and if I was going for a ring mod, I'd get that.

Something to mention is that except the Moogerfooger (which was too expensive at the time), all the analog ring modulators I've played have an audible carrier pitch. If memory serves, the MF ring mod has a noise suppressor circuit with a threshold that cuts the carrier pitch.

Also have a Line6 FM4 with a ring mod emulation, which does the job fine, and no carrier pitch at all. I can't find a musical way to utilize ring mod, so the FM4 is fine to satisfy that itch... it's already on my board.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021