Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Rock Keyboardist Ever

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kcdbass, Apr 7, 2002.

1. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i've been listening to rock music since the early '70's ... the first song i ever got turned on to was, "it never rains in southern california" by albert hammond ... that should date me!!!

anyway, for my money ... the far-and-away, all-time best rock keyboardist has got to be ...

TONY BANKS from genesis.

i always thought keith emerson was just "too much." and being a bassist, i am a huge chris squire fan ... but again, wakeman seemed too "grandiose" at times. john paul jones wasn't bad ... but it was his second instrument, maybe. and he was sorta jamming, i think ... not really writing parts that would serve as hooks for the songs to build on.

for my ears, BANKS is meat-n-potatoes, he has a "pocket" to his playing ... his sound choices are impeccable and always interesting ... always seems to add just exactly what the song needs without being "too artsy." serious musical theory going on there ...

hey man ... anybody know how i can get in touch with him to have him play in my band??? :)

what does everybody else think?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Rick Wakeman from Yes. I do like Tony Banks also, but Wakeman was so flashy in the true rock and roll spirit.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Jon Lord - Deep Purple
    John Medeski - MMW (not really rock i know, but he definitely ROCKS)
    Jordan Rudess - Dream Theater
    Adam Braatz - Bon Pantalon (my younger brother, an absolute bad-mutha)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Steve Winwood

5. Richard Wright, John Lord.

6. Charlie Clouser!!!!!!!! All the way.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...off to Miscellaneous with you!!!

And I'll go along with Tony Banks, he's my man for keys.

8. I have to go with embellisher on this one, hard to beat Steve Winwood.

9. Stevie Wonder...Elton John...Johnny Johnson...Reese Wynans...Greg Allman...Ray Manzarek...I could go on. ;)

10. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    First one that comes to my mind is Ray Manzarek from the Doors, then Rick Wakeman from Yes.

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Joie Hinton, formerly of Ozric Tentacles. The man can play a mean synth, and the sounds he programs are just otherworldly.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I always preferred Kevin Moore. Rudess is too showy, IMO, even for THAT band.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Geddy Lee! I know he wasn't anything special, but come on, he's a bassist!

Anyway, I'm really not sure what my favorite would be. Winwood is ok (except for his disgusting lyrics; abracabra anyone?), Wonder is great, Moore was pretty good, EJ is good, Manzarek worked well in the context, etc etc.

13. Any one ever heard of a guy named Keith Emerson?

14. Ray Manzarek of the Doors, and also Dave Greenfield of The Stranglers- eg. the keyboard vs. guitar solos in "Hanging around" and "Walk on by".

15. My vote goes to Ray Manzarek, considering he was both bass and keys and he did a great job filling out both positions in the band. He also has some of the best hooks. There are probably keyboardists better than him, but personally, I like him the best.

Jon Lord is good too, though sometimes I get the sense he's swallowed up by the rest of the band (at least it seemed like he was when I saw them live).

Oh, and Little Richard :D

16. I'm gonna go with Jordan Ruddess from Dream Theater

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Billy Joel must be in the top 5.

...no?

18. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    billy joel ... good call ... i guess i view him (and elton john) as a pianist not necessarily a keyboardist/synth guy ... lots of good names coming up here ... thanks to all who contributed!

:)

19. C'mon people.... Richard Wright :D Actually all the guys mentioned are amazing. I can't speak for the DT guy because I can only listen to them for about 5 minutes before I get homicidal :p

Here's one we don't ususally think of as a keyboard player: John Paul Jones! Also an amazing producer.

20. what about david ryan from bon jovi?