Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best rock 'n' roll amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelastofus, Sep 10, 2002.

1. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Everytime you think or hear about the classic rock 'n' roll amp you see an svt classic and an 8x10, i have a 400+ and a powerhouse 1000 cab and think it sounds great for rock and just kinda wonder why nobody really uses these. A 400+ is cheaper, lighter, more powerfull and IMO backed by a better company by far than the svt, but you still see more bass players using svt's. I was wondering in comparison between the two (ampeg vs. mesa) what you guys thought was the better rock 'n' amp of the two and between the cabs, powerhouse or the 8x10, i know it's all preference but i was just wondering your guy's. It kinda makes me curious to try the 400+ on an 8x10...

2. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Gotta tell you, the 400+ is in my opinion the better of the two. I like SVT's, but LOVE the 400+!
    I want one sooooo bad:D

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've owned both and I sold the Classic and kept two 400+'s. The Mesa is a better sounding amp, much fatter and stronger in the low register. However, the Classic has a certain "grind" that is almost impossible to get out of the 400+. I also own a '70 SVT. The old SVT is very different from today's SLM-manufactured SVT Classic. The old one was and still is the world's best rock 'n roll amp.

4. Damn Straight! I think the 400+ is one of the best Rock and Roll amps available today, but a real SVT is definitely the ultimate amp for Rock and Roll. Mine's a '76 and I wouldn't trade it for anything!

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I would have to say 78 and under Ampeg SVT's are the king or Rock, I like the 400 also and another contender is the Peavey Classic 400. I just picked up one and it freakin rocks!! 8 6550's is monsterouse power and tone!
    [​IMG]

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Ampeg are great. i have a killer rock'n roll tone with a Hughes and kettner preamp, Eko Tube head and ampeg cabinet.

but if i had money to spend i'd go with NOS of this one:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    and what about this?!?!?

[​IMG]

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Ooooohhhhhh! I forgot about Sunn, I wouldn't mind having one of everything mentioned!:D

9. Go Sunn. I have one and Love it. I think it has great tone just like the SVT and 400+ but is more vesitile with the footswitch.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    EBS.:D

11. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i've got a sunn 300t also. it rocks the house. balls of steel. can't go wrong.