Best Rock 'n' Roll Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndyBell, May 30, 2002.

1. AndyBell

AndyBell Guest

May 23, 2002
    york, england
    here we go...
    what bass i best for rock n roll??? im looking to buy one and we play mainly rock n roll. im thinking a burns bison? anyone agree? disagree? have any other thoughts? please say, thanks...
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The best P-Bass you can afford...
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Another P Bass vote.
  4. The reason I don't own a P-Bass?
    It is already on millions of records.

p.s. this is a vote for the P-Bass.
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I play Fender P-bass too;)

The Bison is a really special looking bass and since you like Andy Bell's sound the Bison might be it for you. A Rickenbacker 4001 is a great choice too.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    G&L L-2000 or ASAT series.

I do agree that a P-bass is a great choice, but for more versatility Id say go with the G&L. Its like the P-basses gradson. I own an L-2500 (5 string), and Its great for all kinds of rock. I use it mostly for classic rock, and it sounds great. It can do the P-bass, Jazz bass, and Music Man sound pretty good.

Speaking of which, they also have great rock sounds. John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin (probably the greatest rock bassist ever) used Jazz basses. And MM basses just sound great.

If you decide on the P-bass, I would recommend the G&L SB2, or American P-bass Special. The other pickup is really great, and the P's classic sound is kept.

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    "The reason I don't own a P-Bass?
    It is already on millions of records."

yep, thats one great reason to get one.
    History has proven it works SO WELL.
    Everything else is a compromise in a rock band!
    Get the best one you can afford, put on a set of
    Fender 9050ML flats and you will power through
    anything; you will also be able to sing sweetly
    when necessary. One trick pony? Some think so, but I've not seen a trick it can't do real dang well.
    You want pretty tinkly notes that have to fight to
    be heard in a rock band, get a jazz or something
    else with no midrange. You want the thump and
    grind that speaks with authority, by yosef a
  8. Ah! a Fender P-bass would be good. he he he! no really. They keep on rocking..
  9. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    another vore for Pbass !
    Rickenbaker is a sweet bass too for rock n roll !
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The one that inspires you to rock the hardest.
  12. :D You need a P, man!
  13. I'm no copy cat just b cuz I say P-Bass. You can't be a Fender (in my world).
  14. Oops...I typed wrong again. By "be" I meant "beat"...You can't beat a Fender. My apologies.
  15. In a resent rock bass study : "4.5 out of 5 Rockers prefer Fender P-Bass!!" No animals were hurt in this study.. ......Uh. no!. wait a minute. I ment a MM Stingray. I have both and they both Rock out when I need them to.:D Get the P-Bass mon, you'll be happier in the long run... .... ....Make up your own mind. ,,, don't listen to us. :p But really you should play a Fender Precision Bass.. :)
  16. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    It´s evident that all you guys have been forced by some kind of comercial influence to say at unison: "Buy a P-bass". So I´ll have to be the NEUTRAL voice in this forum:

Get a VINTAGE P-Bass!!!!!!!!;)
  17. But it has to be a pre-CBS Precision Bass or else you won't be able to Rock out :D