1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Rock pickups in EMG 35 size

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eupharies, Oct 31, 2013.

1. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    I hate my EMG HBs! HATE THEM haha

I have a secondary bass just a VM jaguar squier, and that sounds amazing with the P/J configuration...

What replacements emg sized pickups would give me that kinda sound?

Cheers

2. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    There are many EMG pickups. You have to be specific, do you have an EMG 35DC (dual coil), and EMG 35P which is a P pickup, or an EMG 35J which is a jass pickup, or a combination of them already? Then there is an EMG 35CS, which is ceramic/steel with dual coils. Models with a -TW at the end add the ability to tap one coil of the dual-coils so you can have a more J like bridge. I'm going to guess you have a 35DC; which has a sound you cannot EQ out of it and is designed to sound like a musicman (which also has a sound to it you cannot eq out IMO).

If I were you and you had a bass loaded with EMG 35DC's and hate the sound because it is too agressive; don't give up on EMG yet! Try an EMG 35P in the neck and an EMG 35J or an EMG 35DC in the bridge. EMG X series are a must if you want the single coil tap, in those cases choose an EMG 35PX for the neck and an EMG 35DC-TWX for the bridge. This way you can have Precision, Musicman and Jazz sounds on a single bass.

Otherwise I would suggest going to Nordstrand and having some custom Big-Splits or Big-Singles made for you in an EMG 35 shape. There are other custom pickup makers on here doing an EMG 35 size, but I'm cautious recommending them at this time.

3. evermelon

evermelon

Apr 20, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    The EMG HB is identical to the 35P, just a different housing, IIRC. I've personally have had great success with a dual 35DC and a 35PJ setup and with the latter obviously giving a PJ tone, in the direction of your Jag.

4. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    EMG HB's are also not a 35 size pickup, FWIW.

also try lowering the pickups down some; putting the pickups close to the string like EMG recommends makes them sound like they are playing through a pillow and compressed. The lows get too hot and the mids disappear and dynamics go away, leaving only a little bit of the highs from the signal to pass through. Lowering them lets the highs speak through the lows more and keeps the lows from compressing the rest of the signal off. I think it has to do with the limitations of the internal preamp myself, which is why people say 18v makes EMG's sound better because it adds back some of those dynamics to the mids and highs and keeps the lows from compressing the whole signal.

If you have the actual EMG HB's, then you do not have a pickup that fits your pickup holes. This pickup looks like this:

[​IMG]

35 shapes look like this:

[​IMG]

and yes, the HB is the same as the EMG Original P or the 35P internally when it comes to magnet and coil size.

5. I'd wager the OP's use of "HB" is simply short for "Humbuckers". VERY few production basses ever used the EMG HB model, Steinbergers being the most notable (and prevalent) example.

I'm wondering if they are 35HZ - the PASSIVE versions. I could see not digging those. As mentioned earlier, the 35 SHAPE can hold MANY different types of EMGs, and other than the TW which has a bronze-coloured logo, you can't tell from the face of the pickup what is in it. Which is why a lot of folks assume that any 35-sized EMG is a humbucker - the "soap bar" shape gives that impression.

J

6. Melodie

Melodie

Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys!

I do have actual active EMG HB's, custom order when i ordered my custom bass... has the emg btc 18v system, I recently had the bass setup and the tech actually said he set the pickups higher i believe as he said they were a little bit low..

So basically there is not a pickup that i can just drop straight in?

7. Melodie

Melodie

Dec 6, 2011
    Ive considered maybe just swapping out the preamp, as currently its a little bit complex!

Each pickup individually has both bass boost / cut and treble boost cut... and a pickup selector

I think if i simply got a well easier preamp, with maybe just a boost for both pickups together it might be easier to dial a tone i like....

8. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    What don't you like about the HB's ?

9. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've got an Ltd B-1005 with EMG 40P-5 at the neck and a 40-TW at the bridge, with the B64 3-band EQ.

I really like this and just like joelb79 said, this is a very flexible. It'll do a very good P, good MM, really good P/J (with the TW in single coil mode) and a pretty good Jazz.

Best of luck and I hope you find a set that works for you.

Bob

10. Melodie

Melodie

Dec 6, 2011
    I just cannot seem to get a nice sound out of it, to many knobs!

For some reason also all 4 knobs affect both pickups even though they should not! Also if i boost the bass to much it makes an awful rumbly sound!

11. Melodie

Melodie

Dec 6, 2011
    Maybe i should look at the TW as i really love the sound my Squier makes with the P/J

12. Melodie

Melodie

Dec 6, 2011
    What is the difference between the EMG TWX and just the TW?

13. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I just looked here: http://www.emgpickups.com/products/category/2/2 because I didn't know either.

In a nutshell, X-series pickups use a "newly designed preamp that provides a wider frequency response, resulting in a more natural and open tone."

If you're getting a rumble, try moving the pickups away from the strings. EMGs have a pretty high output.

Bob

14. evermelon

evermelon

Apr 20, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    These two statements are confusing me :confused: the BTS is going to affect the entire circuit so it will boost/cut both pickups, you cant 'choose' which pickup can be boosted/cut...

Piggybacking off of joelb79 previous posts as he provided very good information on the EMGs. The main thing you will notice in the TWX, aside from a more open -less compressed- tone, is that the volume remains equal switching from dual coil and single coil modes which is a major improvement from the regular TWs and as joelb79 said if you want the coil switching, get the TWXs.

just curious for me, but does your pickups screw into a pickguard?

15. Melodie

Melodie

Dec 6, 2011
    mmmm, when i had it made i was told it was all seperate

I have 2 x stacked knobs, bottom is bass cut/boost top is treble cut/boost, 1 for each pickup...

If that wasnt the case then... id just have a duplicate knob doing the exact same thing ;/ i figured i had the 18v system for that reason, but this stuff confuses me haha

When i asked for this setup they were like yeh we can do that no problem

16. Melodie

Melodie

Dec 6, 2011
    no pickguard, just goes straight in to the bass

Attached Files:

17. StrangerDanger likes this.
  18. evermelon

evermelon

Apr 20, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    WHOAA! So you have two BTCs in your bass?! Thats some crazy stuff right there, AND a pickup 3-way selector no wonder! HA thats way too much 'control' for me for a circuit..seems like it is for you too :D

I would see about swapping those BTCs out for a BQC. The BQC has a stack bass/treble and a stack mids/midrange frequency sweep, its very nice and would control both pickups. Also, is the pickup route as big as those pickup 'frames'?... Cause if so, you could see about yanking them out and then you could find a pickup that'll fit the route (which could be quite possibly the EMG 35 shape :cool:)

19. Melodie

Melodie

Dec 6, 2011
    They do sound pretty nice but not quite aggressive enough for me :) i use a pick so its hard to tell haha

Yep i must have 2x btc's one for each, Yup way way wayyy to many controls, i really dont know why i went for this option haha...

20. Melodie

Melodie

Dec 6, 2011
    Would there be a preamp with just bass and treble boost, and then the mids?

I assume the BQC is both cut and boost?