Best rock rhythm section?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yawnsie, Mar 9, 2001.

1. Entwistle & Moon (The Who)

30 vote(s)
  2. Jones & Bonham (Led Zepplin)

68 vote(s)
  3. McCartney & Starr (The Beatles)

12 vote(s)
  4. Lee & Peart (Rush)

35 vote(s)
  5. Bruce & Baker (Cream)

9 vote(s)
  6. Taylor & Deacon (Queen)

4 vote(s)
  7. Butler & Powell (Black Sabbath - Cozy Powell WAS their drummer wasn't he?)

10 vote(s)
  8. Redding & Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

6 vote(s)
  9. Gah! There are NO good rhythm sections in that noisy rock nonsense.

1 vote(s)
  10. Where's... (insert favourite rhythm section)???

46 vote(s)
  11. Sting & Stewart Copeland

9 vote(s)
  1. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, so far I've managed to avoid posting a poll, but I can't hold it in any longer! (It was a choice between this and favourite internal organ) My vote goes to Entwistle and Moon, by the way.
  2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I kinda like Mr. Big's Billy Sheehan and Pat Torpey. Their music isn't really in the same category as all the others in the poll, but they are still rock.
  3. It's amazing how often the great Joe Osborn is left off these polls! Why do you guys think he was one of the busiest studio bass players around between 1960 and 1980?

The best rock rhytm section IMO is the combination of Joe Osborn, Hal Blaine and Larry Knechtel - those guys played on probably half the hit records that came out in the late '60's.
  4. Tough choices...

Really tough choices.

Bonzo and Pope Jones finally won, but just barely.

5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Take into consideration that I'm an old fart OK.
    The Beatles made great records but the WHO had the better band! Entwistle and Moon easily!
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Sting and Stewart Copeland.
  7. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999

Nuff said,
  8. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I couldnt vote becuz Im hung up between Geddy Lee/Neil Peart and Geezer Butler/Bill Ward....

...I believe Powell did play in Black Sabbath for a while but Bill Ward is the original drummer, I didn't follow Sabbath much after Ozzy left..
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...didya catch The Partidge Family "Behind The Scenes" thingee on VH-1? David Cassidy was re-telling how he was told that his "playing" wouldn't be needed 'cause the show had Osborn, Blaine, Larry Carlton, & Mike Melvoin in the rhythm section.
    Pretty funny; Cassidy even said he was aware these guys' "greatness".

My question-
    How come "Rock" guys always(seemigly)omit the keys/guitars as part of the rhythm section? ;)

...going by who's listed in the poll, I'd take Bruce/Baker during their Cream hey-day. IMO, they could really stretch out for "Rock" guys. ;)
  10. yeah sabbath was gezzer and bill ward in the good days, then they sucked! ha, anyways yeah

i dont know if i can vote if i do it'll probably be zep, but i think blind melon are wicked! :)
  11. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    funny seeing entwhistle and moon on there. moon, as outlandish as he was, had horrible rythm.
  12. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    by the way, pete perex and bobby jarzombek get my vote...they make myung/portnoy look silly. :D
  13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    :eek: Hot damn! They get my vote as well!
  14. Dave Garibaldi & Francis Rocco Prestia.
  15. i voted for sabbath. but if AC/DC where on there id definatly vote for them. they put on a GREAT show.
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...couple of other Rock "rhythm sections" that ain't too bad-
    1)Muzz Skillings/William Calhoun(Living Colour)
    2)Terry Bozzio/Pat O'Hearn(Missing Persons)

...I agree with ya about Moon; granted, he was a character; I'm not too keen on how "well" he actually played with Entwhistle(was he even listening to Ox?) ;)
  17. My drummer is the biggest Keith Moon fan in the world. He's always going on about how the stuff that Moon played made no logical sense, but managed to work anyways. Isn't that the mark of a true genius (think Jackson Pollack)?

I voted for them, but my real choice would be Simon Gallup and Boris Williams from The Cure. Listen to anything from Head on the Door to Wish and tell me that wasn't a kick ass rhythm section.
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

1. Garibaldi and Prestia
    2. Bozzio and O'Hearn
    3. Doug Pinnick and Jerry Gaskill of King's X. They lay a groove so deep that you can move in a doublewide and the whole family can live down in there!!!
  19. Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    In this particular moment, I'd say the entire Red Hot Chili Peppers because not only do they have Chad Smith, who is an AWESOME drummer, and Flea, but John Frusciante has one of the greatest right rhythm hand of all time (like a rubber band) and is ALWAYS very rhythmic.

Plus, Anthony Kiedis is basically always in time (and basically always out of key :D) althought he is improving greatly)