1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Rounds for my new Warrior basses

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by campbems, Dec 24, 2016.

1. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've been using tapes and flats for the last few years but recently purchased 2 Warriors that I want to use rounds that have good warmth without harsh highs. I want smooth tone that still provides great clarity. What would be some good round say to try? I hate the rough feel of SS strings so I want something somewhat smooth in feel.

2. Instead of going all the way back to rounds, you might want to consider trying the GHS Pressurewounds. Their tone is round-ish but without the harsh highs.

For rounds, maybe the DR Sunbeams for warmth and clarity.

Mystic Michael and campbems like this.
  3. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've tried the pressure wounds and like them but they lacked something for me. I have a set of sunbeams coming to try on one of them. So hopefully that will be a string that will work for me.

michael_t likes this.
  4. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    You might consider the DR Fatbeams. They are stainless, but I find them very comfortable under the fingers.

They are the former Marcus Miller signature string: a Hi-Beam that is slow-wound, which does something to the low end to enhance its presence. I find the tone is just as you desire - warm, smooth and clear. I also find them responsive to playing style.

Good luck with the search!

campbems likes this.
  5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I'm a flatwound player myself and just bought a Lakland 55-01. I strung it with Chromes and it sounded great but with an active pre I wanted to get the sizzle out of the bass the flats lacked. I know the Chromes will mellow and I feared maybe to much. I don't like rounds and if I do play them they have to be Nickel.
    I found out about the D'Adderio NYXL nickel rounds. These are by far the best Nickel rounds I have ever played. They are not rough on the fingers yet are punchy and feel and sound great. Try them, I really think you will like them on your Warriors.

campbems likes this.
  6. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've actually ordered a couple different sets to try on my 2 new Warriors. One is the Nickel Sunbeams and the other set is TI SuperAlloy Nickel rounds. Hopefully these will give me what I'm looking for. I have TI Flats right now on 1 of them and they sound really good to.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Just because a string has a stainless steel outer wrap doesn't necessarily make it rough to the touch. Any of the compression-wound string makers (GHS, Ken Smith, Rotosound, DR, etc.) can make you a set of stainless steel-wrapped strings that are surprisingly smooth to the touch.

I'm a big fan of DR strings, and am not afraid of stainless steel, so I recommend steel Lo-Riders, Fat Beams and/or Hi-Beams. Just choose the model that corresponds best to your particular playing style, tone & touch dynamics, etc.

MM

campbems likes this.
  8. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I like warmer tone in my strings so Stainless wouldn't fall in that.

9. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Another nod for the DR Sunbeams. I've really only used these strings and D'Addario XL's (nickel) in my basses through recent history and haven't wondered whether the grass is greener with anything else.

Actually I also remember trying something from the DR label, perhaps a nickel string with a hex core, but I suppose that the feel and general mojo of the Sunbeams have become my personal "normal".

campbems likes this.
  10. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Sounds like you made your choice, and TI is a good one. I play Fodera Nickel Mediums. Worth at least checking out a YouTube video.

11. campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    @Basstards
    Fodera's are a string I'm going to try. I've heard they are warm and very good tone.

Basstards likes this.
  12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    That would be DR's nickel Lo-Riders.

MM