1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best roundwound strings for 80's pop music?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BBEgo, Apr 25, 2010.

1. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    Ok, insert random 80's band dig here... I can take it. It PAYS! Yes, I'm a whore. Anyway...

I've been using Black Beauties on my BTB 5'er and have been digging on the tone... for a gig or 2. After that, the tone kinda falls flat.
    I'm looking for something that'll give me superior tone for more than just a few gigs. How are Thomastik-Infeld Superalloys?
    What are you guys using?

2. I love the tone of the Extra Lifes and they do tend to drop slightly after a few weeks

I used to use Rotosounds and they stayed brighter for a lot longer
    also if you are looking more into the brighter new wavey tone you can try DR Hi Beams

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I'll second the Hi Beams rec, lately I've liked the Fat Beams more. A little more prominent low mids. Sound incredible brand new, but brighter even after a few months than the Xtra life coated strings.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Theyre where all kinds of brands being used by world touring bands in the 80's. Why would there be one single one that was best? That certainly wasnt the attitude of bass players back then to include the bass players in world touring bands then. The question makes no sense from a players perspective in any way. Buy any brand you like that was available back then if your wanting to be time period correct. In all likelyhood for pop etc 80's music you'll find Rotosound, Daddario, Fender, and Ernie Ball being among the most used by pros bassists of the time. Labella perhaps for flats or Daddario. As best I remember those where the brands with the most pro endorsers back then.

5. BBEgo

BBEgo

Apr 14, 2010
    Corona, CA
    I have no desire to achieve an "80's" sound. That's just silly.

I just want a good sounding set of strings that will maintain a good, bright tone for several gigs.