Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best roundwounds for fretless mwahhh...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jongor, Oct 25, 2003.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Any suggestions for a nickel round wound, with low tension, for maximum mwah?

I love the soaring tone, that I think comes from a round wound, like Alain Caron.

...no I can't afford an F bass.

2. Check out the TI power bass series, they sound awesome on my MIA 83 fender fretless!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How much do they cost? Usually?

4. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I like the Alembic CX series, they have a great tone and don't eat up your fingerboard.

5. Dean Markley NickelSteels are nice, I dig.

6. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I ended up getting the Thomastik jazz bass rounds.

I love 'em! The wrap is very tight, so I don't think it'll damage the fretboard, although I'm going to key an eye on that.

They're very low tension, which makes them easy to play and contributes to the mmwwaahh factor.
    Plus they sound great!

Recommended!

:D

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    2nd that on the TI Flats. I also recommend DR Sunbeams. After putting the TI's on, I wont go back to rounds but they still are great. I just prefer flats :)

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I recommend the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds (JR-344's).

These are the strings I setup all my Rick Turner Electroline fretless basses with.

See my TI forum on the Pit (link below)

9. Check HERE

The best prices on the internet and he's fair and honest!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Speaking of the "mmwwaahh" factor. Will I lose that if I go to the nylon tape wound strings on my fretless?

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    That depends on which tapewound you are talking about. Rounds or flats? Nylon like Rotosound or LaBella/Carvins or plastic wrapped like Fenders?

12. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Well, the Fenders are all I'm familiar with, so I reckon I was talking about those. But, if you can enlighten me about the others I'd appreciate it:D

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    The Fenders are crap in my opinion. They have some sort of plastic wrap around them and are very slick. The Rotosound RS88's are the original tapewounds (aka: Paul used them on the rooftop concert) but are heavy gauge at .55-.115.

Second choice is the LaBella/Carvin set. The Roto's are flatwound strings with the wrap over top and the Labella's are roundwounds with the wrap over top.

My first choice is the Roto's but they're big and you may need to modify your nut to accomodate them but they have the Muahh!

On fretted they totally kill on an Epi Jack Casady!

14. Cathead

Cathead

Dec 13, 2002
    Premier, WV
    Thanks a million. I can remember that easily enough. Rotos are all I would use back in the 70's in my heavy "giggin'" days. I briefly checked out the link in your posts, and it looks like I'll have a field day over there, too. Thanks again.

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    You're welcome!