1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best roundwounds - not for the price but best?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by crusie, Oct 21, 2010.

1. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    Hiya,

with all this talk about flatwound I've gone and bought a pair for one of my basses, while they sound like they should, the 3 piece band Im in - I sometimes have to have a more "full" sound - not dissing flawound but this band's sound just doesn't call for it.

I've tried rotosound swingbass's, Dr highbeams, DR red devils, D'addario's.

last I tried the red devils - and while I like the sound of these strings I'm bummed that the coating falls off after like 1-2 gigs. it might be acid/sweat from hands. It also seems like the low B string is a bit too boomey - not something I've noticed with any other brand.

so my question is: the best set of 5 strings ? roundwound and at least extra long scale - preferably super long scale ( so I can string through body on my läkland) it has to have some zing, not overly bright though. of course even tension is a plus.
    I'm thinking I don't mind paying that extra to get a string that fufills these needs. so what I'm really looking for is the best. not the best for the price.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    What did yoiu like and dislike about the Rotosounds, DR Highbeams, and the Daddarios? Perhaps if those things where known, youd better know what sound tweak your after. This might be something that needs fixed with pup adjustments or something else. Theres no best roundwound. Only best roundwound or two for an individual player. Thats why theres several companies making bass strings that continue to stay in busines so well with various pro world touring bass players useing those various brands strings.

Have you tried the other versions of DR strings to find which one comes closest to your ideal sound in your head?

Untill you can say something like" I liked tghe metallic sound qaulity of rotosounds but liked the mids of the daddarios better, etc. Then ones not gonna make a good suggestion. Other then maybe "Try Ernie Balls, Ken Smoths, Dean Markleys, and some other to. See if one of those fullfills you better.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Ernie ball

4. crusie

crusie

Oct 19, 2009
    Djursland, Denmark
    well I need a modern sound for it. so I'm guessing that would be strong low mids - but not boomy. of course you could be right about it being the bass needing ajustments. I'm taking it to a local luthier in the beginning og november.

5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    For that description I would suggest TI Superalloy or GHS Boomers.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Do your own pup adjustments. Another poerson wont get it right for you. Solo the pups one at a time. Raise and lower the one working with till gets best sound overall. The raise and lower the pole peices for same adjustment to best sound for you. Then tweak that pups height again. Repeat for the other pup solo. Then switch to both pups on full. Make small tweak to one pup or the other by either raising it a tad or lowering it a tad for best voice with both pups on full. The secret Ive found is this method plus adjusting the two pups with blend rolled slightly toward bridge pup. If the latter doesnt give the little extra bite without being trebly, then either slightly lower bridge pup (if too bright) or slightly raise neck pup little more. Pup adjustment is a stricly by ear thing very dependent on being done by the player for best results. Pup adjustments can make an ok bass soiund great. Esp if pole peices are also adjustable.

Basic rules of thumb that ussually apply for pup adjustment"
    A. Raising pole peices above pup houseing top generally adds more bite treble and crunch. Lowered to even with pup houseing or little lower decreases this.
    B. Raising whole pup or lowering it affects output level and too low makes for weaker sound. Too high causes loss of articulation and sustain note fade out becomes faster. Sustain becomes zero if strings are banging or touching against pups. Lol.

7. i find it hard to beat elixirs those are my go to strings for rounds these days.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It's not the coating that's coming off the DR's, it's just the color as explained in the packaging. The coating is not affected. Just get Silver Stars if you want the same strings with no coloring.