Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best roundwounds ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jacopas, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Hi,
    I need your opinions about roundwound strings.I am looking for a long lasting , not harsh and easy playing (i play with my fingers and the strings i have now are very hard to play.).Which brand(s) do you recommend?
    Thanx..

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I gotta say Rotosound Swingbass - I started on them, tried lots of different brands, and am now back to them. I find their longevity very good, a bit bright at first but settle down to a very nice sound with some playing in. The only thing some folks don't like is how dry they feel - I like 'em!!! (Oh, forgot to say I'm talking about the Stainless Steel ones!)

3. D'Addario Slowounds are my pick.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm digging the SIT's.

5. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    well, its all up to you, but heres my two cents :

a) if you want long lasting, easy on finger strings, try some of those elixir coated strings. the only catch is theyre kinda pricy, but i like them.

b) if you like bright, stainless steel, kick ass bass strings, try some DR Hi-Beams

c) Rotosounds are pretty cool, very cheap (at least they are in town). the only catch i got from them are that they go dead very fast, and i mean DEAD.

but, in conclusion, its all up to you. hope this is of some help.

6. Thank you all..I will try Elixir's i think..Otherwise D'Addairo Slowounds..

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I currently use Ken Smith Burners, DR Sunbeams and Lakland Nickel strings. They all sound very good on various basses that I own. I've also used SIT strings, which are nice and pretty affordable too.

I'm also using Dean Markely Blue Steels, which are stainless steel on one of my basses.

8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Dean Markley Blue Steel - Stainless steel.

Excellent choice !!! My favourites !!!

9. My faves are SIT Powerwounds and DR Sunbeams (or Hi Beams if you prefer Stainless Steel). I may try the Fat Beams sometime in the future.