Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best second bass if I want to fit into an acoustic set?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grindylow, May 17, 2004.

1. Grindylow

Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a great Jazz Bass with Dimarzio Ultra Jazzes, and the series/parallel switching, so I can pretty much play along with any electric set. What would be a good second bass if I also want to be able to fit nicely into acoustic sets? I will have a budget of $350-400.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Fretless electric. Get a fretless jazz.

3. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Could you just get an acoustic bass? Fender and Ibanez have decent stuff in that price range, and I'm sure there are many others, but I'm not really knowledgeable about acoustics.

Or you could get a fretless jazz! :D

4. Grindylow

Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    Why would a fretless bass fit into an acoustic set when a fretted wouldn't?

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    It's got a more acoustic sound, I guess. I'd rather get an acoustic bass...

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    A fretted would work, but an electric fretless compliments acoustics quite nicely at the right volume. You *sort* of get more of an upright vibe that way.

FWIW, I have an acoustic bass, and I don't think much of them, frankly.

7. Grindylow

Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    Other than a fretless Jazz, what would be another good fretless (preferrably with fretlines) in my price range? I already have a Jazz, and would like to get something different.

8. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hmm... With that price, its hard to say...

Up the money and get a Fretless Lakland 44-01, they can be found at $400-500 used (sometimes)

They are MUCH better than any fender IMHO.

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    And a Fretless bass can sound much "softer" than a fretted, it would IMHO suit an acoustic band better.

10. I found that my Fender Am.Dlx. Jazz fretless fit best in the slower, softer worship songs I used to play for my church. With a good bit of mwah and a warm bass, it was a perfect balance with a piano, acoustic guitar, etc. Just really supported the overall feel of the songs.

-Nick Park

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Just for fun what about an ashbury? :p

BTW I play with some classical guitars with a fretted cheap as chips five string peavey.

Other than the ashbury I would look at getting a fretless jazz with flats or nylon strings to get a more double bass sound.

Acoustic basses have always sounded abit harse to me but i'm sure with the right strings you could get more thump and less zing to one.

Just for fun shove something under the strings of your jazz near the mute and see how that sounds always works for me.

Hope this helps

12. Grindylow

Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    I do really like my Jazz Bass! Maybe a fretless jazz as well would be good. For the longest time I didn't like Jazz Basses because I though they were too limited (passive, v/v/t) so I played active basses. I could never find the tone I wanted until I traded my final active bass for my Jazz - I've found the tone now!

I saw a few nice looking fretless MIM Jazz Basses on Ebay last night. Have any of you played one of these? How is the fretboard? Can you feel the lines? I just might buy one of these ad then start upgrading it like my current Jazz (American made tuners, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pups, Badass 2). Man did I make out like a bandit when I traded for this Jazz!

Have any of you played, or know someone who has played, one of those fretless semi-hollow Dean Rhapsody basses? I have heard conflicting reports about them.

13. Grindylow

Grindylow

May 11, 2004
    Puyallup, WA
    Has anyone here played one of those Ashbory's? They look interesting, but more like a novelty to me.

14. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    A bit above your price range, but not that far if you can find one used...

The P-series Carvins have piezo bridge pickups in addition to the regular pickups, and they can be blended together to suit. I have a P-series BB75 fretless (BB75FP) and can get some really nice, woody, upright-ish sounds out of it thanks to those pickups. It's really great on quiet acoustic stuff. It cost, IIRC, $975 used, mint.

A lot cheaper, though, is to just re-think the way you have your current rig set up. Fool around with EQ and pickup selection to sit better in the acoustic mix before you think about changing basses. Make no assumptions, and remember that what sounds good in the mix might sound awful by itself. Experiment. Take your existing gear to its limits and see where it leads you.

You might even approach your playing differently. If you play fingerstyle, try plucking the string up at the base of the neck instead of over the pickups...you'll get a much softer, fatter, less aggressive attack that way. If you use a pick, get rid of it. You can get a LOT of different tones out of your bass just by changing the way you play it.

Of course, that doesn't cure your GAS attack...but if you only have a few hundred to spend, you're going to get exactly what you pay for.

15. I like this thought with one difference. Look at the Carvin AC40 (or AC50 for a five string), they seem to have a pretty good reputation. I've seen them used in the $400-600 range on ebay and here etc. Somewhere at Norm Stockton's site there is a couple of sound clips of his. (www.normstockton.com) It seems to fall somewhere in between an acoustic bass and an electric it terms of construction, but the tone either in fretted or fretless is pretty earthy and woody.

Cheers, BT