Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best-Selling Album Ever

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just read this in my local newspaper today. The Eagles are now officially the third-highest-selling band in the United States, having sold a total of 83.5 million albumsto date. First place are The Beatles who have sold 163.5 million albums. Led Zeppelin are second with 103.5 million, according to the Associated Press.

However, The Eagles' album "Their Greatest Hits:1971-75" holds the best selling album ever crown, with sales of 27 million.

Thought those facts might be interesting.
    jo

2. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    How come Spacehog isn't up there?!?!?!?

3. Wasn't Spinal Tap's 'Smell the Glove' up there...somewhere?? ;)

4. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    What of Slim Whitman (sold more records than Elvis and the Beatles combined), or Zamphir, master of the pan flute (his haunting melodies will enchant you)?

Really, though, that's a nice tidbit to know. Gives us something to shoot for! I know "Thriller" and "Rumours" were once duking it out for most copies sold, but I didn't know the Eagles jumped up there. Wonder if they can stop hating each other long enough to congratulate themselves...

5. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Yaa.. That's a really cool CD, for all the people who are too lazy to buy all the eagle's albums. Billy joel is closing in on them too though. The Wall is up for some competition. Watch out for Spacehog though.

6. Boplicity

Zamphir's pan flute album(s) might arguably the best selling all-time pan flute album(s). Who knows? (And who cares?) LOL.

jo

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe this is the opportunity to ask a question. I like American(?) stand-up comic Dennis leary and usually understand most of his jokes. But there is a bit where says : "I've just got two words for the Eagles - Joe Walsh!" I laughed but I'm not sure why. Any ideas why this is funny?

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I remember my band's singer insisting a few weeks ago that the Eagle's greatest hits album was the biggest selling ever - the rest of the band was certain it wasn't but it looks like he was right. (I won't tell him, though - we don't need our singer to have an even more inflated ego! :))

I remember reading that AC/DC were apparently the fifth highest selling band in American history not so long ago, which suprised me - still, I wouldn't have thought the Eagles would have been at number three. Just shows that hype doesn't always equal record sales - most of the time it does, but not always...

9. Bruce,
    I wondered about this too, but I think the point that Leary was trying to make is that of all the Eagles that went on to solo careers, Joe Walsh made the coolest music, in Leary's opinion. He was kind of dissing the solo work of Glen "The Heat Is On" Frey and Don "Mr. Sensitive Guy" Henley.. although a lot of us bass players like Henley's music because of the great bass playing.
    And I believe the actual quote was "I've got two words for the Eagles.. Joe F***ing Walsh!"

10. Boplicity

I LIKE Joe Walsh. Of course, I like blues, and his music has a blusey appeal to me. Actually, I don't really understand what Leary could have meant. Maybe he thinks Walsh is a little "unpolished" ...he isn't hip or sophisticated like Henley or others in the band. Maybe he has irritating actions...I don't know. Still, I actually like Walsh, both as a person and as a musician.

Say, did any of you read this week that the other guitarist who played the "Hotel California" solo with Walsh has been fired by Henley and Frey and is suing them for his abrupt dismissal? I'm having a "senior moment" and can't recall his name...a virtual household word, at least for Eagles fans, but I was shocked when I read about the situation. I'd like to know more about it. Anybody know what happened?

jason

11. Boplicity

Having checked an Eagles message board, I learned that they are playing a concert soon in Manchester, England. Their line up listed for the concert includes Glenn Frey, Don Hemley, Timoth B. Schmidt and "other backing musicians."

Don Felder, the guitarist whose name eluded me in the post above is not listed there, nor is he listed for a concert in Dallas, TX this summer. So I guess what I read about his dismissal is true, but I can't find anymore information on the topic.

jason

P.S. Here is a link to a formal press satement about the Felder situation.

http://www.sonicnet.com/news/story.jhtml?genreNameFor Display=Rock&genreDirectory=rock&id=1439297

12. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Ugh someone told me Iron Maiden had sold 180 million cds....

I guess that information was incorrect then?

/lovebown

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Not necessarliy; the numbers JO posted are for sales in the USA only.

I would like to see numbers for the whole world, but I guess those statistics would be a b*tch to do.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Talking about world-wide sales, reminds me about a group of friends of mine who went on a "spiritual" journey around India - this is quite a while ago now, when we were just out of college - I elected not to go. But when they got back I had to listen to all the stories in the pub.

But anyway they told me about how they wanted to go to Goa, because it was supposed to be a very spiritual place - but when they got there, all they found were old hippies who spent all day on the beach - out of their heads on lsd listening to Eagles albums - and nothing else! That must do something for the world-wide sales! ;)

15. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Yeah, my band's singer has got tickets for it. He's already been to see them before, and told me that the band left in separate cars, (Apparently, he almost got run over by Don Henley's Land Rover!) and that they didn't communicate at all on stage. Despite that, he told me that it was one of the best performances he'd ever seen - credit to how professional the band is.

16. I saw th Eagles dude on Charlie Rose a little whi;e back which is where I first heard this info.
    If 83 million records sold is the 3 higest KISS must be waaay up there since they have sold well over 70 million albums.
    .....Yawnsie mentioned AC/DC......I AM SEEING THEM THIS SATURDAY NIGHT!!! WOOO!!!

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How long before the Beatles '1' passes The Eagles' album "Their Greatest Hits:1971-75"?

Already surpassed 20 million units in sales.

18. Hmm, I can see the Beatles album goin past it, its some great stuff tho.

19. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Beatles 1 will surpass thriller and eagles GH if it keeps selling like it does. I guess the Ass Ponies don't have a chance now