Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Selling CDs of 2001

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The RIAA has released the names of the best selling CDS of 2001 in the U.S. They represent an eclectic mix of styles.

1. "Hotshot"--Shaggy, 6 times platinum, 5.5 million copies.

2. Tie: "A Day without Rain"--Enya
    "Celebrity"--'N Sync
    3. "Weathered"--Creed

4. "Songs in A-Minor"--Alicia Keys

5. "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"--Coen Brothers/soundtrack

6. "Hybrid Theory"--Linkin Park

In the U.K., Dido's "No Angle" was the top selling CD with 1.8 million copies.

It is interesting that everything from reggae/dancehall to bluegrass made it to the top selling list. It is also noteworthy that Creed's album did so well being as it has only been in stores a couple of weeks.

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    u kno...its kinda sad to see a group like 'N sync up there...because all they do is sing...they don't play intsruments...they let other people make thier music for them.

bp13

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    They play instruments...their voices. ;) You'd find it's a lot harder to be them than other people on that list.

Boplicity (still trying to get used to to the name change :)), thanks for bringing this up! It definitely is very interesting. I wouldn't ever have expected any of these groups (except N'Sync) to have done so well. A very interesting year, indeed!

4. Not that I'm a fan of N'Sync, but to me, vocals ARE an instrument. But it is sad that some pre-fabricated pop group who sing corny love songs to pre-teens is at the top of the music charts.

5. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

yea...thats what i was tryin to say...

bp13

6. Boplicity

In defense of 'N Sync (and Backstreet Boys, O-Town, etc.), some of their members also write some of the songs the groups sing. And some do have at least a basic acquaintance with guitars or keyboards.

There's another element to their performance, too. These guys dance. A two hour 'N Sync or BSB concert is quite strenuous. Of course, the dancing does not "show" on the CD, though it does on the videos. But my point is, these guys are well rounded performers...not "just singers."

I may be the only one here who actually watched the entire O-Town reality series that included the auditions, eliminations and early training to be the final five O-Town members. The group gets little respect here at TalkBass, but I can say the auditions were tough; the elimination periods were even tougher. I know I couldn't have made the cut, not even the first. (Of course, I'm not even a guy.)

These groups do sing sappy love songs most of us here don't like, but they satisfy a certain audience. Not just anybody can go out and do what they do well enough to sell five million records in one year. I respect their talent even though I am not a big fan of their music as a whole.

7. But there's still more talent in N*Sync's piss than there is in some bands who do play their instruments...

I'm sure you can guess which one's (see sig)

-'rice

8. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    good one...:rolleyes:

and whats ur hobbit name...im sure we can poke fun at ur family:D

9. This is a sad reflection about current music today, Alicia Keys is a much better musical role model for teens than NSYNC, NSYNC happens to be probably the least talented boy band out of any of the big ones. At least in BSB Kevin plays piano on a few of their tracks, and in O-Town Ashley and Jacob play guitar and piano, but the NSYNC members are much less musically capable.

And Pearl Jam 2 is up there in the rankings too? It upsets me to see that Creed is the flagbearer for Modern Rock, because their act gets very old quickly and their songs are really cheesy. I just wish that Linkin Park (not that they are much better) had have beaten them out, there is just a sad lack of Mainstream rock bands now a days, some of the Punk bands really need greater media hype behind them because they would be much more respectable mainstream successes than Creed.

The rest of the list is passable, except Shaggy really sold out and dumbed down his tunes.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    is it just me or "weathered" has an awful album cover... eeewww

11. Jason,
    I think that while N'Sync and the like are good singers, I still don't think they deserve a lot of respect. What they do is hard, but the music they make (I'm talking about music only) lacks emotion and feeling. And when they DO write the songs, they tend to suck beyond belief (see "Pop" by N'Sync or "I'm a Slave 4 U" by Britney Spears). The music (in my opinion) is generic and repetitive (which can be said for many rock groups as well) and so they get no respect from me on a musical level.

12. Boplicity

Even though the song "Pop" might seem awful to some, it did help the album "Celebrity" sell five million copies to the fourteen year old girls who like the music on that CD.

My complaint about "Pop" would be less with the actual music itself and more with the lyrics which were primarily about the trials and tribulations of fame and being a celebrity. I mean...after all...this is how 'N Sync thanks its millions of preteen and early teen fans, by complaining about the hardships fame and fortune have brought the five millionairs who wrote, sing and dance to "Pop"? Talk about biting the hands that feed you.

Being a multimillionaire before age twenty five may be a hardship, but struggling to flip hamburgers at Burger King and not have enough money to buy a new CD is an even greater hardship (as many young men the same age as Jason Timberlake can testify). I just don't sympathize with the wealthy young men of 'N Sync.