Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best service for shipping cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jan 23, 2006.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am wondering what people's thoughts are on the best service for shipping amps/cabinets would be. I just sold a (100lb) 4x10 on ebay and want to make sure it gets there in one piece and also doesnt cost me an arm and a leg in the process. Anyone have experience with this?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    did you have the seller pay shipping? I don't know how big they ship, but www.usps.gov has been faster/cheaper for me than UPS. check websites...most have rate estimators.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Holy Crap, don't use fed ex. they destroyed my new schroeder cabinet. :spit: :scowl: :rollno:

4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Truth is that you will hear horror stories about all major carriers (UPS, USPS, FedEx, DHL). I'm sure they have all busted a cab or two.

That said, I find fedex the cheapest of all 4 and just as reliable as the rest for large items.

For small items, USPS is the way to go.

5. I don't think you can use USPS. Their weight limit is like 70 lbs or something. It's also been my experience that the heavier a package gets, the closer USPS rates get to UPS/FedEx.

I know UPS has a limit of 150 lbs and as far as damage and lost packages is concerned, it happens to all of them. Just make sure it is packaged well and insure it. If he doesn't want to pay for insurance make sure he understands that he is on his own if it gets lost or damaged.

Go to UPS's or FedEx's web site to calculate the shipping, packing it yourself will save you big time on the price. The estimate you get on the web site does not include packing.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    For big/heavy stuff I like EGL
    http://www.eaglegl.com/

You'll find the drivers are owner/operators, for me they seem to take extra care, and have nicer trucks.

7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005

Like he said, insure it. I just sold some basses on ebay and UPS insurance was $1.00 for every $100.00 over the first $100.00, to cheap not to!

8. USPS won't ship a cabinet that size; UPS, Fedex and DHL are all gambles; we are definitely under their mercy.

Dan; shoot me an email.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Community Service Announcement... I know that this is a cabinet shipping thread but FedEx Ground will only allow instruments to be insured for $100...new rule in November I think...

However, I tend to use FedEx Ground. They're closer to work, I get better service, more respect, better rates, etc. I've had good luck, one damaged cabinet (I shipped to CA), the buyer took excellent photos and FedEx Gnd paid up without an arguement.

The broken speaker (massive body slam snapped the large magnet off of the back of an Eminence 15) occurred when I used a FedEx Kinkos rather than my usual FedEx customer counter. I almost wonder if it didn't fall off of their flimsy cart before it even left the building...

Be very careful on how you pack it. I use rigid styrofoam rather than peanuts. Peanuts crumble under heavy weight. Make sure you wrap the cabinet in something first to keep packing materials from getting inside.

FedEx Ground expects 2 in. of padding all the way around...but with a 4x10 sized cabinet you have to be careful about the overall size of the package. 130 inches length plus girth is the limit. They WILL measure it.

For really big stuff (8x10s, Acoustic 301 1x18 folded horns, etc.) I've used www.Forwardair.com. There aren't many locations and you have to drop it off at their facility and the receiver has to pick it up on the other end. I've always built crates for the big cabinets, which I believe is a requirement, but the pricing has been good and the transit time quite fast (something like 4 days Chicago to San Francisco for something like $45 (at the time their rates were $20 something per 100 lbs with a $45 minimum).

Other tips...make sure you insure it for the full amount (if there's damage you'll have to prove its value). Insurance is cheap, generally the first $100 is free and it's about $0.40 per $100 after that. Make sure you get signature service ($2 at FedEx Ground)...a potential hassle for the buyer, but you'll have proof that they got it.

Don't do COD!!!! The shipper will send the payment back via 1st class mail which is uninsured and not trackable. If the envelope gets lost enroute, too bad for you!!! I've only done it once, didn't have any problems, but I'm not willing to risk it again.

Have fun!

10. Solution to all your problems: Sell locally! Saves the hassle and the money.

11. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Anyone know who the cabinet manufactures use and how they ship them?

Mike delivered my El Wappo in a van. Great guy, great service!