1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best set up J bass out of the box $500 - $1,000 used OK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim C, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm about done with instruments that are just OK; have bought many over the years (including 70's Fenders) that had either a ski jump neck, lousy fret work, etc.

Who sells a passive J bass that comes out of the box with very good fret work and a stable neck that is 8 - 9lbs?

Ironically, I really like the shape of the SX J necks and don't mind switching pups; just want to be able to adjust truss rod, string height, maybe pups, and go.

Was thinking maybe a used Lakland, Sadowsky or Valenti

Your opinions are greatly appreciated

2. Well, the Sadowskys aren't passive, and you'd have to work pretty hard to get one within that budget. I don't know about the Valentis in terms of active/passive, but Nino's work is known to be great.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    How about a Roadworn Jazz or a used AV62 Jazz? Both have excellent fit and finish, sound great, and are typically pretty light.

4. CIJ Fenders?

5. Another option would be to have Mr. Dan Atkinson build you one to your preferred specs. Should be within your budget as well.

6. marklaforest

marklaforest

Feb 5, 2010
    Ottawa
    A used Geddy Lee Jazz with a setup might suit your needs. Should be relatively easy to find for under $1000. How about G&L? I've never had one so I can't endorse it but they seem to get good reviews and I see them sell used around that price.

7. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    this is easy- a used lakland osbourn or jones

8. mailboxmoney

mailboxmoney

Jun 29, 2006
    I like both the Lakland DJ (I have an Osborn 5 string fretless that's great also), and the Fender Road Worn is also great. The Dj and the RW I have aren't heavy at all.

9. Warwick Corvette STD Passive.

It really is a Jazz bass in a lot of ways

10. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I don't think you'll get a used Lakland for under a grand, unless it's a Skyline. That might be the way to go. I haven't played one though, so wait for others to chime in.

11. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Buy from the TB classifieds? That's what I'd do if I wasn't location impaired. I think it's the most trustworthy source for used basses if you can't try before you buy.

Anyhow, I know I'm nitpicking, but I've never seen a bass that didn't require setup straight from a box, and that includes ken smiths, sadowskys etc.. It's your bass and you'll need to set it up for you anyway. Shotty fret jobs and warped necks are a differend matter.

But the best advice I can give you is to try before you buy. After about a year, my main player at the moment is a japanese fender J that has neck and fretwork that certainly aren't any worse than on those basses mentioned earlier. For a fraction of the cost.

12. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    I don't think there's going to be a definitive answer to this question. No manufacturer has perfect quality control. Some are definitely better than others, but if you're buying something online there's always that chance that the setup will need tweaking. The only way to guarantee a perfect out of the box experience is to buy in person and have it set up the way you want it.

13. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario

The ultimate deal.

Go for.

14. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Carvin... quite customizable too. :smug:

Also, look for used Carvins. Very few things beats the value of a $700+ US-made bass for $400ish besides those old US Peavey Fury's for $100-$200.

15. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    my opinion would be any of the lakland skyline series...all within your budget used. the new ones are plek'd too.

16. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I was going to mention Carvin. Their fretwork and setups are really good. And a new one can definitely be had for under a grand. I'm not sure whether they are "J" enough for the OP. But the B40 and SB4000 are "J like" in some respects.

17. +1. Been GASin' hardcore on this guy's work.

18. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Thanks for the advice.
    Have an email in to Dan Atkinson, understand that Lakland no longer makes the DJ model, and don't know much about Fender CIJ.
    Do they still make a J bass that is specificaly made in Japan and sold in the states?

19. This may be a little late, but I recently bought a new Fender American Standard Precision V for $1250 Canadian (full disclosure: that was after I had them knock off $120 due to a pain chip). It's a little bit lighter than my 55-02, the fit and finish is just as good and the fretboard's got rolled edges (bonus: the Am. Stds seem to have none of the QC issues that have plagued other US Fender lines). Oh, and it comes with an SKB flight case. My 5502 $500 cost more and came with a godawful Levy's gigbag that slip at the seams about nine months later.

If the Atkins thing doesn't work out, I'd say that a used 2008 Am. Std Jazz might be your best bet. I just did a quick check, and Musicians Friend's got two used: one for $999 and one for $1099. So it's definitely possible to find one you'll like and can afford.

Or: http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...Jones-Signature-Model-4String-Bass?sku=517705